2004 Lincoln Navigator- 12 volt source for DVD player ?

Old 02-11-17, 07:13 AM
2004 Lincoln Navigator- 12 volt source for DVD player ?

Hello group- I am trying to install two headrest monitors. I was able to get access to the inside of the center console looking for a power source. There is a cigarette plug in it which would have been perfect. Sadly, I could not detect voltage to any of the controls even though all fuses are good- even with ACC on. I did find a stable 12 volts DC in the plug going to the left front window. I checked the schematic and it looks like this 12 volt source comes off a 20 amp fuse. It is there when I turn ACC on and goes away when I turn key to off position, so I imagine this can work. This fuse controls that window as well as the radio and a bunch of other stuff. There is no way all these accessories can be operated at the same time. Any thoughts on whether I should tab there for power ? I don't want the fuse to start blowing every 5 minutes, or if I operate the window while the dvd is playing ! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-17, 07:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you looking for a keyed source or direct battery source? Newer cars some are hard to find. Your lighter should work when key is on.

Old 02-11-17, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Check the specs on the DVD players, they may have a fairly low draw.

Old 02-11-17, 07:53 AM
I would imagine a keyed source would be better, and that 12 volt source at the window plug is just that. I get it when I turn the key to ACC or the engine is running. As for the cigarette lighter inside the center console....I do not have power anywhere even when the engine is running. Very strange. Maybe there is a switch or something to power it on. I don't know.

Old 02-11-17, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
The outlet(s) in the center console are dedicated for accessory use. If they are dead you probably missed the correct fuse.

If you have the owners manual..... check for two things.
1) Which fuse controls that. It may even be under the hood.
2) See if those outlets can be changed from always live to key power. Many vehicles have a jumper that can be changed at the fusebox. If the jumper is missing..... the outlets won't work.

You could use the power at the door BUT you would need to install a smaller protection fuse at that point.

Old 02-11-17, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I found this

34 Answers

SOURCE:
cigarette lighter fuse location

The cigarette fuse is located in the battery junction box under the hood, it is fuse # 10 and is a 20A fuse, open the hood and find the box it is on the passenger side towards the back of the compartment, it is 10th in line on the top row, also you can check these fuses without removing them through the clear plastic top so that should make things a little easier too, hope this helps