Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer

ME

02-15-17, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)  
2004 Ford Explorer

When I get into my truck, the door open light stays on, the power locks and mirrors don't work. Aft r I drive about 100ft or so, they all kick in and work perfectly. When I turn car off, the interior light stays on for about 10min and then turns off. Besides that, it runs like a gen. I don't know where to start???

Sponsored Links

OH

02-15-17, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Maybe check the switch on each door frame that closes when the door is closed? Perhaps the door is sagging and out of alignment? I found one of my swtiches was not fully making contact. The "door open" light kept lighting up while I drove and the dome light would turn on (or stay on). I lifted the rubber cover on the switch and put a little nut on the end of the switch to make it a little longer and all is better now. My guess is that driving is no longer closing properly and thererfore not making proper contact with the switch. When you start driving, the vibrations help the door settle into place. When you turn off the car and get out, there is nothing to help the door seat properly so it is up to the car's computer to turn everything off after 10 minutes (as if you left the door open for that amount of time). I would start by checking the driver door since that is the one used the most (and therefore the most worn out).

- Peter

KY

02-15-17, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)  
broken wire in the door jam. only way to see it is to pull back the rubber wire cover. most likely it will be the biggest black wire(ground) but have seen as many as 5 wires broken. kind of a pain to repair considering the space.

Search this Thread