$495 for muffler?

Old 02-21-17, 09:28 AM
$495 for muffler?

Well I just noticed my muffler pipe broke in two today and I just went to Midas (maybe unfortunately), but I didn't feel like waiting around for other shops (most were full). The guy quoted me $495.00 and like a dummy I agreed and now I'm at home with their "rental loaner vehicle" waiting for 2 hours for the repair to be done. Did I get rooked?

2003 Subaru Forester.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-17, 09:59 AM
Depends on how much they are replacing. Aftermarket parts from Rockauto for the whole exhaust (except catalytic converter) are upwards of $300 so with labor, 495 isn't outrageous. If all they are replacing is the muffler and attached pipe, then probably high. If they are using Subaru parts (doubtful) then you probably got a deal.

Old 02-21-17, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you had paid attention, your car undoubtedly gave you signs that the muffler was going bad. Paying attention to those signs [no matter what part it might be] will often give you time to prepare or shop around for a deal before the repair becomes imperative. Let us know just what they replaced.

Old 02-21-17, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Some chain shops will not replace just the bad parts. They will only replace the whole system. They claim this is because of guarantees they offer. I've found you can usually find an independent shop that will only replace what is needed.

Old 02-21-17, 10:52 AM
Thanks marksr, but the signs started yesterday and the thing broke about 15 minutes after I too off today. They replaced just the muffler and the pipe that goes about 2 feet from the muffler to a flange with a gasket. That's where it broke.

Old 02-21-17, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There was probably a change in the tune of the exhaust a month or more ago but you need to know vehicles and listen - not everyone hears it. That price sounds kind of steep for just a muffler and a few feet of pipe ...... but no sense crying about it, just live and learn

Search this Thread