choice of cars

Old 03-16-17, 04:21 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
choice of cars

For an elderly couple, would you suggest a Honda CR V?
I ask because there are a lot of cars out there and it is confusing. I used to be a Toyota person but after trying them it is obvious they are still reeling from the recalls and are plastic and cheaper.
If there is a fault you know of with my choice ,CRV, please let me know before I make the sale.

Old 03-16-17, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Well, I can tell you I have towed very few of them, so that's a good sign. I'm still a Toyota fan, though.

Old 03-16-17, 05:27 AM
P
Crv

Thanks for the tow info.
Have you looked at the new Toyota? They are really plastic and not at all like the older ones. I don't think a company can take the hit they did and not cut corners. Glad to hear about the CR V - they seemed to have integrity when we rode in them.

Old 03-16-17, 08:03 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
SUV Choice

Make sure the inside space is comfortable. We traded for a Chevy Equinox, and after one vacation trip, decided it was too compact on the inside. We traded for a Traverse, which we like much better. Just my experience. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-16-17, 08:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Were on our second Equinox, drove the 07 into the ground. Current is 13MY, much better. New 17/18MY coming out, I believe they are a little shorter.

Old 03-16-17, 09:23 AM
P
Car

It is very roomy and can lay seats flat thank you

Old 03-16-17, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Neighbor purchased a CR-V after only owning big trucks for 30 yrs. Finally decided no more long camping trips, both in their 70's. Wife put her foot down and got the CR-V. Absolutely loves it. Easy to drive, comfortable, good on gas. They've come a long way from when they first started, with the funky high dash mount shifter, fold out table in the back, and 140hp.

Old 03-16-17, 01:20 PM
P
That's great to hear. We are ging for the CRV and will let you know. I think June is the time for us.
Thank you

Old 03-16-17, 04:40 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid. Same seating height and comfort as CR-V. Same basically conveniences. Same roughly cargo space. SUPERB reliability. Superior mpg. Get one Made in Japan, if you can. Will run forever.

Old 03-16-17, 04:43 PM
Btw, we actually test drove 2014 CR-V and its Acura clone, RDX. We passed on both. Underpowered whiny engine continuously needed to be stabbed into high RPM to move. Son bought 2014 RD X for his wife and I wish he didn't I had that car for a day and did not like it at all.
Best ever is Highlander Hybrid. LOVE the car.

Old 03-17-17, 05:25 AM
P
We have driven those. The 2017 Honda has really stepped it up.

Old 03-17-17, 09:00 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I would not be a good GM employee if I didn't make the statement,

BUY AMERICAN

Cant dump on the quality anymore, as good if not better these days!

Old 03-17-17, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
OK, just to throw in my 2cents, I'm on my third Equinox and they keep getting better. The 2018's really look good with lots of new options!

Old 03-17-17, 10:13 AM
P
It's hard to get your money's worth with an American car although I like to buy American when I can

Old 03-17-17, 12:14 PM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
My parents (in their 80's) recently purchased a Honda CV R and they love it! Not too big and not too small. But they no longer take long road trips and we live in a small town. I've considered getting one for myself! :-)

Old 03-17-17, 12:29 PM
P
Right on!! But then again to reach his own.

Old 03-17-17, 08:48 PM
Like I said. Highlander Hybrid. They are not getting better. Not need to. They were, are and will be good.

Old 03-17-17, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Igor...maybe you have a spare $36K sitting around, maybe peterr doesn't want to spend that much? You gave your recommendation, let it lay.

Peterr, one other consideration...have you driven a Kia Soul? Not necessarily the best for long trips due to relatively short wheelbase, but very nicely equipped and great around town. Much larger inside than they look from the outside. Ex- has a 2014 "+" model and it has been a great car. Not a single issue. She has taken it on very long road trips and has no problems with the ride. 250 miles in ANY car is about my max before I have to get out for a while.

The 2017 models have only gotten better and max out at about $22,500 unless you want a bunch of fancy options. The + model won't even reach $20K in most cases.

I think the CR-V is an excellent choice, but the Soul is also a great little car. If I was in the market, I'd seriously consider one (after I find a decent $3000 small truck).

Old 03-18-17, 04:13 AM
P
Thanks gunguy. I am looking into it as we speak. And you are right about the $.
I am doing this as my old car is ready for the cemetary.

Old 03-18-17, 06:42 AM
Igor...maybe you have a spare $36K sitting around, maybe peterr doesn't want to spend that much? You gave your recommendation, let it lay.
Then it's only fair for everyone to let it lay. Right?
1. no one said I suggest new one. I bought mine used for way below that amount.
2. I actually DO have OP's best financial interest in mind. If you were to look back through the posts, "they are getting better" tune is all through. Better from what? From known reliability issues and continuous repairs? How do you actually KNOW that 2017 or 2016 GM models WILL be reliable? Initial quality is fool's gold. Shines now, who forks for repairs down the road?
While Toyota dominates reliability charts for what - ten years?
To be true, I AM minding OP's financial interest as I AM a very frugal person and suggest only what has high chance of being good reliable long lasting vehicle for years.
And Toyota, RV4, hybrid or not, Highlander or not, even Corolla, falls into that category loud and clear.

Old 03-19-17, 03:18 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek

I have become a big fan of the Subaru Crosstrek. The ergonomics are important, and the Crosstrek for example has headrests that tilt back and forward, very rare other than on top luxury cars. The Honda headrest cants forward and depending on your height can be quite uncomfortable. The Subaru seat is also height adjustable. These are some small points but are very important for day to day livability. On the technical front, the Subaru powertrain and all wheel drive is exceptional. I have the limited model which includes some of the same camera based auto braking and safety features of the best luxury cars. Bulletproof reliability, and fuel economy quite remarkable. Never lacks for power for any of my driving, the CV transmission makes the most of the powertrain.

I have been surprised how loyal I have become to my Crosstrek, actually bought for my shorter stature spouse who cross shopped all the comparable cars for ergonomics and all around visibility as a main criteria. We went to the autoshow and sat in every car and small suv, so I sympathise with the issue of so many choices out there. we then did a number of test drives on the choices we narrowed down. Even against the luxury offerings, the Subaru made the cut, and we were not price sensitive.

There is a new one coming out for the 2018 model year, looks like some some evolutionary improvements. But means the 2016/17's on the lot are probably available for decent pricing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: