2010 Nissan Altima TSB brakes...Help

Old 03-20-17, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
2010 Nissan Altima TSB brakes...Help

OK so my 2010 Nissan Altima,( That I will never buy a Nissan product again) has brake issues @ 78K miles.

So wife states that when brakes applied they suddenly activate harder like a brake check motion. I drove it and verified..

Upon internet search I notice a NTB service bulletin stating master cylinder issue.

See here.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...1020-59213.pdf

Upon reading further I find an additional TSB but cant find actual documents about it. But I know 99% this is the issue.

NTB10-153

2010 2011 ALTIMA AND MAXIMA;
BRAKES FEEL MORE SENSITIVE THAN EXPECTED

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2010 2011 Altima Sedan & Coupe (L32 & CL32)

2010 2011 Maxima (A35)

APPLIED VINs: 2010 Altima built after: 1N4(*)L2(***)AC 173905 (Smyrna)
or 1N4(*)L2(***)AN 527905 (Canton)

2011 Altima built before: 1N4(*)L2(***)BC 105774 (Smyrna)
or 1N4(*)L2(***)BN 407818 (Canton)

2010 Maxima built after: 1N4AA5AP(*)AC 862521

2011 Maxima built before: 1N4AA5AP(*)BC 807780

APPLIED DATE Vehicles built between June 9, 2010 and September 21, 2010

IF YOU CONFIRM

The brakes feel more sensitive than expected with light to moderate brake application,

and/or

Towards the end of bringing the vehicle to a stop (last few feet), the vehicle stops
SLIGHTLY quicker than expected.

ACTION

Replace the Brake Booster Assembly

So wife takes it to nissan today with paper from me in hand with both service bulletin #'s written on the linked one above.

Nissan says there is a leak in master cylinder. I was put on the phone before said repair becuase they wanted to sell me rear shock, serp belt and a cabin filter... ( Ha ha ha) I stated I was not interested but when they do the master cylinder make sure you change the booster under ntb 10153.

She stated she cant tell the mechanics what to do but if the boosters at fault they will repair accordingly.

( My wife basically told them this when she arived and stated a bus almost rear ended her.

The brakes feel more sensitive than expected with light to moderate brake application,

and/or

Towards the end of bringing the vehicle to a stop (last few feet), the vehicle stops
SLIGHTLY quicker than expected.

So I felt confident with those two TSB,s and what my wife stated all would be well..

Got the car back and only master cylinder was changed. Pedal still has a click in it like the linkage in the booster is off and or fluid in the booster from leaking master cylinder is the cause. I know it was the booster all along.

But nissan said the booster was fine and failed to change it.

My wife thought it was fine too but I took her around the block a few times to show her how to get it to brake check with the clicking pedal.

She is due back wed after my somewhat very direct and to the point phone call to them. I stated "when I was on the phone with you and talked about the booster we could of saved everyone the trouble of multiple trips if you listened to what I was saying. While you had the car and down to the master cylinder the booster was next in line and could of easily been changed then. Heck I would even pay for the booster at that point in the repair"

So even though I did not pay anything for the master cylinder I cant find anything on the booster TSB that will hold them accountable to replace it. Except for the fact that they said the master was leaking so IMO there for fluid must have got into the booster. From my experience you always replace the booster if theres oil in it. The first TSB tells nissan not to replace the booster, But the second TSB from my reading says its a seperate issue. But I cannot find the official PDF on that.

And Ideas on my recourse come weds?

This is the best I can find from the nissan forums. I wonder if anyone here on DIY has access to actual TSB,s

Brake "Pop" Sound and Pedal - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-17, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Ending of this story. Nissan took the car back and ate the labor after an argument from me. I paid for the booster though..

No more click/sudden grab from brakes..

It was the booster all along..

Old 06-01-17, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
For future reference, though dealers are loathe to give you a complete TSB, I've gone to 2 different shops and asked if they had ALLDATA subscriptions. They both did and were happy to print them out for me when I explained it was a problem with the dealer and I was PO'd.

I even offered to pay $5-10 and both declined just asking that I remember them when I needed a service they provided.

Now a small 1 bay independent probably won't pay the hundreds for a subscription, but a larger multi-bay full service place might. IIRC one of them was a franchise...Midas maybe?

Old 06-02-17, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've mentioned here before, I had a 1993 F150 with faulty tank transfer switches. HOWEVER, my VIN didn't fall within the criteria of the TSB, so I was sol. A good hefty argument and leaving the truck running with fuel puking out the front tank did get action.