Trunk floor collecting water in 2007 Chevy Malibu

Old 04-11-17, 11:03 AM
Trunk floor collecting water in 2007 Chevy Malibu

Hi all,
Cleaning out my trunk last night, discovered a couple inches of water in the base of the trunk well where the mini-spare tire & jack are located.
I got all the water sopped up and am thinking about drilling some drain holes for the water.
I'm not sure where the water is coming from, as:
1. I've never left the trunk lid up during any time precipitation was falling - at least not enough to account for 2 inches of water;
2. It seems like it's only been recently occurring since neither the jack or the jack handle (lug wrench) are badly rusted.
3. On the other hand, the trunk lid rubber gasket/seal strip is in perfect condition with no deterioration, cuts or deformities; but, it could just be a flattened and not sealing good.

I'm a little reluctant about the hole drilling because of the presence of the gas tank right below but I wouldn't need too big a hole and would only need to pass thru the trunk floor sheetmetal
Any ideas or tips appreciated.
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-17, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the gasket along the edge of the trunk lid to make sure it's all intact and attached. Make sure the 'gutter' along the trunk opening is clear of debris. Not saying it applies but my first car had a rust hole in the wheel well that shot water under the rear seat when driving in the rain.

Old 04-11-17, 08:22 PM
There should be rubber plug at the bottom of tire well. Simply pull it out.

Old 04-12-17, 08:06 AM
Had similar discovery in an older Equinox, ended up being a leaking joint on the roof. Water running down the D-pillar and collected in the spare tire well.

Took forever to locate but just required some sealer to fix.

So, could be a body joint or even a leak around the tail lights.

They haven't put rubber plugs in cars for years!