2002 pt cruiser spring/ shock replacement

Old 04-16-17, 04:20 PM
2002 pt cruiser spring/ shock replacement

So i had my 2002 pt cruiser in the shop. Back end is very rough and loud over bumps. Shocks are leaking and the one side that sounds the worst the bump stop is hitting hard on that side. They said the coil spring is bad. I purchased the shocks and springs. Doesnt look difficult looking at the book. My question is the shocks look pretty easy , couple bolts top and bottom, to install. Springs look a bit more involved to do if someone can weigh in on steps that would be great. Looks like once the shock is disconnected you also need to take apart the sway bar link as well. The book shows taking it apart at the bell crank in middle of axle. I also see the link has bolts near the wheel as well. Kinda confusing. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 06:11 PM
Is it rear or front axle?

Old 04-16-17, 06:33 PM
It is the rear axle. I think it is stabilizer link not seay bar link

Old 04-16-17, 08:43 PM
Well, you have both on rear axle. Trailer bar, or arm, and stabilizer link to antisway bar. Last is easy.
you will need 2 jacks to do spring. Possibly even to do shock. That's about it.

It's citty video but explains why you need two. One to lift the car, one to move control arm up and down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wg0y1_Xk-Q

Old 04-17-17, 08:50 AM
What did they say is "bad" about the coil spring? Is it broken?

Old 04-17-17, 09:16 AM
Coil spring is leaking oil out.
Kidding.
Likely a usual Dairy Queen spin.

Old 04-18-17, 06:12 PM
They say the springs are not broken but the rubber bumper on the one side is smashing pretty hard into the axle or?. The shocks also are leaking. When i go over a bump it feels like the whole right side of the frame is nouncing ip and down about 6 times. I can only describe it like a pickup truck truck with a piece of steel in the back and when hitting a bump the piece of steel would bounce up and down violently a few times. They also said the watt links and stabilizer bar links are all good and tight. So i figured for $90 i would strt by changing these items. Shocks look easy in book. The springs though it says to remove the bolt holding the bellcrank and watts linkages then remove the stabilizer bar clamps. Then put a jack under axle and remove one side of shock. Then lower the axle. I am wondering if you have to remove the bellcrank as i hate to get into this. Can you disconnect the watts linkage near the tire and do one side at a time. This is the confusing part as what needs to be diassembled on the pt besides the shock. Thx

Old 04-18-17, 06:26 PM
I would start by just installing the shocks... you may not need springs at all.

Old 04-18-17, 08:22 PM
So you need to replace rubber spring insulator, not spring. And even that is questionable. I'd say do shocks and see what happens.
Btw, hard knock going over bumps is Stabilizer bar bushings, not shocks or springs. Same as sway bar bushings.