2001 Dodge Caravan wiring

Old 04-17-17, 03:15 PM
2001 Dodge Caravan wiring

While I am driving the light on the dash comes on saying a door is open.When this happens the bell sounds and the interior light comes on. Then is goes off and then it comes on again. How can I found out which door is causing the trouble.I can not find a pin push button on the doors. So what is activating the light on the dash?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-17, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a door switch, and it may be a two stage switch to allow for "door ajar" and to turn on the interior lights. Pretty easy to find on the door column. Looks like this:

Name:  door switch.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  19.3 KB

It may just need an adjustment outward to correct the problem.

Old 04-17-17, 04:36 PM
I will go and look again. The problem is I did not see any thing like that. Maybe I'm a little blind.Will look again.

Old 04-17-17, 05:33 PM
I have a 2001 Ram 3500 and it had the opposite problem, so I had to find mine and fix it. That's why I know it should be there.

Old 04-17-17, 05:58 PM
I went back and I can not find any thing like that in any door. I then asked a friend and neither of us and find any thing like that. I do remember on another car it was a slide sort of but there is nothing on either side of the door. If some one can tell me what the location on the door it might be. Right now it is not there.

Old 04-17-17, 06:07 PM
Check this video out. It appears they could be located toward the back of the door instead of on the column. Also, check the adjustment of the sliding door. The switch for that is located on the hinge side, not the handle side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PvvjzsmQo

Old 04-17-17, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pretty sure on his vehicle the lighting switches are integral to the lock/latch mechanism.

That would mean you'd need to access the body control module. Each door will have its own input to the module. You'd have to get a wiring diagram of the BCM so that you could check each pin to find the problem.

Old 04-17-17, 06:20 PM
Pete, further research does show the actual locking mechanism to be part of the door ajar switch. Found another video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_5xzv8P3fg

A little more in detail than just a physical switch.