Ford Focus 2010 DR won't start

Old 05-08-17, 12:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ford Focus 2010 DR won't start

So I've been having this problem for a few weeks now and its really becoming an issue. The car battery is fine everything works and lights up. I turn the key and nothing clicks or sounds except for the car turning on. It happens sporadically and sometimes would work with a jiggle of the keys. Please help me understand my problem and how much it will take to fix it.

Old 05-08-17, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you seen the "key not detected" light come on ?
Apparently Ford is having problems with the sensor in the ignition switch that reads the key information.

The other possible problem is anti theft. When you turn the key on is the anti theft light flashing quickly ?

Both can be caused by the same problem.

Do you have two keys..... and have you tried the second one ?

Old 11-29-17, 09:58 AM
A
Just brainstorming here a bit... Does your brake pedal need to be depressed while turning the key to start the car? If so, perhaps your brake light switch is bad. I know this from a Toyota we own.

Easy to test - brake lights coming on? And probably not too expensive to fix.

Old 11-29-17, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
The OP has not been back to the forums since posting his opening thread.

I've never heard of car where you have to press the brake to turn the key.
Do you mean press the brake to change gears ?

Old 11-29-17, 06:59 PM
A
Our Toyota needs a "brake depressed" condition to start. They use the brake light to tell the car if the brake is depressed. My car does have a keyless start so perhaps the "brake on" requirement is unique to those types of starts. Again...i was just brainstorming a little....

Old 11-29-17, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
That's because you have a remote start in a vehicle with a stick/clutch...... right ?

Old 11-29-17, 09:28 PM
A
No, it has keyless start... you keep the keyfob in your pocket and press the start button. The fob must be in the car to start. The car must have the brake depressed in order for it to start.

Old 11-30-17, 08:38 AM
F
Let's try few things that cost no money first.

There can certainly be problems with the antitheft and other lock out devices associated with the starter circuit. Try removing the positive battery terminal, let the car sit for an hour or two, and hook back up. This can reset the computer and solve for some glitches.

Just to deal with the more common issue, that sounds like a marginal battery symptom. Everything lighting up is not in itself indication of a good battery. How old is the battery? Let the car sit overnight after it has been driven, measure the resting voltage with a volt meter. Should be at least 12.4 volts. Could also be a starter solenoid starting to go. What is the mileage on the car?

There are some documented problems with the ignition switch lock housing. The key jiggle making a difference suggests that might be the place to look. Buy PN: 9L8Z 3511 A https://www.amazon.com/Ford-9L8Z-351.../dp/B0031C62AG

Reuse your key cylinder and you should be all set. The part goes for around $150. Read some of the Amazon comments that sound like others had your problem which this fixed.

Old 12-01-17, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Could also be an issue with the park/neutral safety switch, but that would take some work to troubleshoot.

Old 12-01-17, 06:39 PM
Received 111 Votes on 98 Posts
Regardless, the OP hasn't been back or posted on his thread in 7 months. I seriously doubt he will be coming back at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: