Zip Ties Or Twist ties For Cables?

Old 05-11-17, 01:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zip Ties Or Twist ties For Cables?

Which type of ties are best for arranging the wires inside engine room of my car, i often used zip ties but whenever i want some repairing then i have to cut down the previous tie, so can i use twist ties for that??

Old 05-11-17, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Twist ties? Like on a bread bag? I wouldn't, for 2 reasons. First, they look look really redneck (not that there's anything wrong with that....sometimes) and jury rigged. Second, all they are is a piece of thin wire in paper or plastic. They could degrade and damage the wire they are wrapped around.

Zip ties are cheap. Keep using them. They do make reusable/releasable zip (or cable) ties, but they are a bit more costly. There are beaded cable ties and also velcro wire organizers that might work. The velcro strips are only about $4 for 100 of them on a roll. They work better than I thought for a variety of uses, and you can't lose them since they are secured to one wire, then wrapped around the bundle.

If you really don't want to keep cutting the regular ties and are really cheap (the car must have a bunch of gremlins, why so much electrical repair?), you could use some solid core wire with actual good insulation. Cut into short lengths and use like a twist tie. Something like 12 or 14 gauge can be purchased by the foot for cheap in various colors (mostly black, white, red, and green, or bare copper) at many hardware stores or home centers

Old 05-11-17, 03:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Moved to Car Forum. .

Old 05-11-17, 01:45 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
There are un-doable zip ties. They are less 'strong" to separation but what do you care about that... they cost a bit more too. have small nipple on latch that opens and releases tie. Reusable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: