A/C line leak - Any expert advice?

Old 05-12-17, 04:45 PM
Question A/C line leak - Any expert advice?

Hello guys, I have a leak in on of the lines that carry refrigerant to the A/C in the back of my SUV, just in the joint between the rubber/steel crimp fittings and the aluminium pipe. Circled in the photo.
My question is if with the right hose crimper I can re-seal the fitting or I have to replace the line.
If I have to replace the complete line is around $2000- lot of labor.
The other option that I have is a using a kit from Dorman(photo)cut the aluminium lines and insert this new hose.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Name:  InkedIMG_1670_LI.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  44.6 KB
Name:  800-670-007.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  10.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-17, 07:00 PM
Make/year/model of vehicle please

Old 05-12-17, 08:12 PM
Mercedes Benz GL350 2010 bluetec

Old 05-12-17, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That really rots.

Originally when I looked at the pic I was thinking a GM vehicle as that's a typical problem with them.

The problem is you need an aluminum line to high pressure rubber hose repair and that is not something common to find. Your biggest issue is that you're dealing with high pressure refrigerant. You can't just re-crimp the existing fitting either.

An easy repair other than replacing the line doesn't come to mind.

Old 05-12-17, 09:36 PM
Thanks for your answer Pete.

The rubber hose that you can see in the pic, is about 25 inches long, and there is another fitting in the other end, so the idea is to cut both aluminium pipes, remove the rubber hose in between and install the Dorman kit.(second photo)
This kit comes two aluminum connectors and a rubber pipe in between.

Old 05-12-17, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
In theory it should work but it's critical to keep any metal particles out of the line. Any bits of metal would get into the compressor or expansion valves ruining them.

If that was a rear heater line handling water I'd say do it. With refrigerant.... I don't think it's something I'd recommend or try.

Wait and see if any of the other guys have a recommendation.

Old 05-12-17, 10:04 PM
if removing the line is an option would probably remove it take it to a shop and have new hose installed with new crimp ferrules and use the existing line.
if removing it is not an option you don't have a lot of choices maybe the one you mentioned or some other form of splice they do braze aluminum a/c components now think it would likely be a little more reliable than the dorman kit but you may need a hose if its in a place where it flexes.
but you do have a few options that would be more cost effective than completely replacing the line.

Old 05-13-17, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys for the answers.

Remove in not an option, I have to remove the transmission, the fuel tank, the exhaust, air intake, etc, etc.

I found a company on eBay they sell hoses pre cramped and fitted, all sizes and diameters. Looks more solid than the Dorman kit.

Now I have to find a method to right measure the pipe in my car, I want to be sure about the diameter. I don't know if Mercedes is metric or SAE. Usually is metric for all the bolts but I'm not sure about the refrigerant pipes.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  9.7 KB

Old 05-13-17, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anything on Mercedes is metric. It looks like the rubber line to medal connection is leaking and I don't see how that is address in last picture.

Old 05-13-17, 01:21 PM
pugs he will be cutting the aluminum tubing and the splice repair kits simply slide on the cut off aluminum tube and get secured with some form of compression fitting when tightened they lock onto the tubing forming a seal so the leaking part is completely replaced.
would probably just try it out if it doesn't work for you can always go back and braze on fittings and have a hose made with simple o ring seal connection or if you don't need the hose just replace the entire section with tube so there is no connections to leak at all. after repairing pull a vacuum on the system and see if it holds before trying to add Freon.
would just double check the area its leaking at as the other hose doesn't look very clean either but if its under the vehicle probably wouldn't be.

Old 05-14-17, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
You need a dial or slide caliper to measure that aluminum line.
Tera-Caliper-Reading-Metric-Standard

Some auto parts stores have even cheaper plastic slide types.

The size of that line is pretty large.....

1/2" = 12.7mm
9/16" = 14mm

I only see 8mm and 12mm kits available. Looks bigger than 12mm.

I'm guessing the sealed system is empty. In a vehicle the filter/dryer is supposed to be replaced any time the system is breached as well as a lengthy evacuation period is required before recharging.

Search this Thread