GM Ignition switch recall

Old 06-10-17, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
GM Ignition switch recall

My daughters 06 Cobalt had the ignition switch replaced shortly after we bought the car 2 years ago. It was part of the nationwide recall and it was done at no expense to me. Lately, the car fails to pick up the chip in the key and refuses to start. A mechanic told me to try to start the car, release the key so it stays in the accessories position and let it set like that for 10 minutes. This resets the codes with the key and all works fine - for a while. I just had to do this again and I can see my daughter stranded at some time. So my question is - Does anyone know what kind of warranty was offered on these replacement ignition switches?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
I'm trying to remember that ignition switch as many have a separate pickup coil around the ignition tumbler that doesn't get replaced with the ignition switch.

I looked at a picture of the ignition. I'm fairly certain that the transponder ring is not replaced with the ignition switch.... meaning there may not be any warranty.

Does this occur with just one key or more than one ?

Basically what you are doing is reprogramming that key into the computer and knocking out all others.

Old 06-10-17, 01:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At the moment, we only have one key as the other one broke off in the door. Have made several attempts to purchase a new one at the hardware store, but they have been out of the blanks.