2001 Pontiac Grand Am shutting off while driving.

Old 06-15-17, 01:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2001 Pontiac Grand Am shutting off while driving.

So, starting the previous day my car began shutting off while I'm either driving or when I pull up to a red light. I noticed that when I cranked it up it jerked and when I put it into drive it'll go "BOOM!" and jerk violently a single time. And as I'm driving it'll jerk every time it switches gears.

Someone on another forum stated that it might be my Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and that if it were unplugged, it would set the trans into a different mode and raise the trans pressure which would result in the gears will slamming. Could this be caused by the MAF sensor? And if so, where is it located?

Name:  IMG_20170615_150752.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 06-15-17, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hard to know exactly what it's doing from your description but I would be taking it somewhere to have the computer checked for codes. Auto Zone will typically do so for no charge, at least they used to....

Old 06-15-17, 02:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yea. I was planning on doing that.

Old 06-16-17, 04:12 AM
A
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
would probably check engine and transmission mounts due to it jerking every time it shifts.
if an automatic a sticking convertor clutch solenoid would cause the vehicle to die when you come to a stop and usually start right back up again in park just to die when you put it into gear. eventually it will release and allow you to place it in gear without the car dying though. but the convertor clutch will reapply at a certain speed and gears and the problem can reoccur at the next red light.
if no codes might check with a transmission shop or have them take it for a test drive.

Old 06-18-17, 02:55 PM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
It's not a MAF sensor problem. The GM 2.4L quad 4 engine didn't have a MAF. It has a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. In your picture, it is the thing with the white connector on it, at the front of the engine, just to the right of the throttle body (as you're looking at it in the picture). It has a small vacuum hose that runs from it to the throttle body.

The MAP sensor is used to adjust fuel trim, so it could be related to running rough or stalling. I can't see it causing a problem with hard shifts, though. I agree with checking the mounts, and scanning for codes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: