Code P141

Old 06-25-17, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Code P141

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder with 6 cylinder 24 valve high output engine. My wifes toy if I may be honest. Was giving me a code P136 and P141 which are both O2 sensor problems. I replaced the O2 sensor that I thought was the problem. It cleared the P136 code but did not clear the P141 code. What exactly am I dealing with here. Did I change the wrong O2 sensor? I don't think so as it cleared the P136 code, so I am confused at the moment and still have alot of grease under my fingernails. Any insight would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-17, 04:51 PM
You changed the Oxygen Sensor located downstream from the Catalytic Converter . . . . away from the engine ?

Both P0136 and P0141 seem to pertain to that 2nd Sensor; but different aspects of its performance.

Old 06-25-17, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I changed a #2 sensor as there are 2 upstream from the one I changed. That has me somewhat confused as to which side is bank 1 and which is bank 2. One is located directly on the front side of the exhaust manifold and visible from top side, one is on the back of the engine, also visible from the top side. The one I changed is underneath on the exhaust and would be the next in line. Like I said, it cleared the P136 code and now I have a P141 code. Car is running relatively good as far as engine performance compared to prior, so I fixed something. Was very choppy and cut out at a stop light when my daughter was driving it yesterday.

Old 06-25-17, 09:15 PM
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0141 code?

Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:

Check the O2 wire harness for water entry into the harness cover causing sensor shorts.

Check the O2 sensor for oil or coolant contaminants from engine leaks.

Scan the new O2 sensor to make sure the heater circuit works properly after replacement.

Check the removed O2 sensor for damage from a defective catalyst by breaking the sensor or clogging sensor holes.

What repairs can fix the P0141 code?

Clearing the fault codes and performing a road test to try and verify a failure
Replacing the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
Repairing or replacing the wiring or connection to the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
Replacing the fuse to the heater circuit for the O2 sensor heater circuit

Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0141 code

The O2 sensor heater circuit for bank 1 sensor 2 is used to heat the internal parts of the O2 sensor on bank 1 sensor 2 only, and the code can be isolated just to this sensor.

Old 06-26-17, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the exhaust layout, the sensor I replaced was bank 1 sensor 2. I've also attached a picture (not mine) of the exact sensor I replaced and what it looks like under the vehicle. I must say, it is a lot cleaner under this car that it was under mine.

Name:  2ega8f4.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  2ega8f4a.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  9.6 KB