Herculiner tall can issue

Old 07-16-17, 11:39 AM
Herculiner tall can issue

I needed just a quart of Herculiner protective coating truck bed coating stuff so I bought a quart of it from a guy on ebay. It turns out the quart container is one of the tall kinds of quart cans, not the usual shape of can a typical quart of paint. Actually, typically Herculiner quart size quantities comes in the typical shape of a quart of paint, but for whatever reason the guy who was selling it had this tall size quart can of it so that's what I've ended up with. I've included a picture here:

So the issue now for me is in regard to how I'm going to mix the stuff with it in this type of a can and that cap on it. It's important to be sure to use a mixer and get the stuff mixed good before applying because the particles settle on the bottom and you need to get that thickness from the settlement mixed in. Usually one of those long metal paint stirrers/mixers you attach to a power drill would be the method, but the base of those (at least any I've ever seen), is too wide to fit down through the cap opening in this tall can. So how the heck am I gonna stir it up? If I pour it all out into a different, wider container, without being able to stir it up first, the thick stuff on the bottom would of course not run out. The Herculiner instructions they provide online say to be sure to mix the stuff off the bottom good using a stirrer as I mentioned, but they also show a picture of the regular quart size can which it typically is available in and this tall shape can isn't shown; I figure maybe the tall can has been discontinued or whatever. I thought about maybe using a can opener the regular manual kitchen kind you'd open a can of soup with, but for one thing the top of the rim of the can has got a bigger lip on it than a normal soup/food can so that kind of can opener probably wouldn't work, and for another thing the rim of the can is slightly dented, probably from shipping, which also would prevent that type of can opener from making a clean round cut out of the top of the can. So, any suggestions appreciated. And, by the way, the cap opening measures 1 1/2" in diameter, tight.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pretend that it's a martini & shake it. A local paint store worker might even put it on the machine for you.

Old 07-17-17, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd pour it into a work pot and then mix it.

Old 07-17-17, 08:39 AM
I opened the cap and popped out the seal underneath. Then stuck a long 5/16" wooden dowel I had down into it to try to get a feel for how thick and how much it was going to require mixing/stirring, and whether the idea of trying to shake it might work. About a third of the way down into the stuff I encountered resistance indicating a very thick, thicker than tar feel, goo inside. So thick I could barely push the stick all the way through to the bottom. Didn't seem to me like trying to shake it would work. So I just began stirring best I could, pulling the stick up and pushing it down, up and down up and down and all around best I could to try to loosen/mix the sticky tarry goo. Did this for maybe 20 minutes, kept changing to other my hand when my one hand/arm got too tiredm back and forth. It seemed the thickest and clumpiest portion of the stuff, down toward the bottom of the can, would never mix in all the way. The instructions said the stuff could be thinned if necessary, with thinners including acetone. So I poured maybe 3 oz of that in to see if that would help. It did, a little. But still, the worst clumpiness toward the bottom I could never actually get mixed all the way. Finally I tried pouring the stuff out from the tall can into a new clean regular shape quart size paint can I bought. Close to 3/4" of the goo ran out into that can, and the remainder in the tall can I tried adding more of the thinner and fighting/stirring it again with my dowel. Still it didn't really break up and mix that thickest clump I guess I'd call it. Finally decided what did pour out might should be enough for me to coat the job I had on hand (a tailgate), so I capped the tall can, stirred some more what poured out into my paint can, and went ahead and went ahead to start the coating job. What poured out ended up being plenty enough for my tailgate, which is good enough. I think if the stuff wouldn't have been in the tall can but in a normal shape can I could've just used a normal size metal paint stirrer with a drill. But no, it was in that godforsaken tall can like that.

Old 07-17-17, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like it was an old can [been sitting a long time] Sometimes you can rejuvenate the solids at the bottom but not always.

Old 07-17-17, 11:21 AM
Yeah seems like that may be the case [old can]. Not even sure Herculiner sells the stuff in these type of tall cans anymore. All the pictures you see of the quart size cans in any of the websites show the regular shape size quart paint cans. The FAQ do say the stuff has a shelf life of 4-5 years (unopened cans).

I'm gonna pour some of that acetone into the remaining goo in the tall can, and take it to the local paint store and see if they'll do me a favor and put it on their machine and see if that "rejuvenates" it. Doubt it.

Old 07-17-17, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if that shape of a can will fit on a shaker or not .... but it doesn't cost anything to take it down to the paint store and ask

Old 07-17-17, 01:33 PM
Yeah the shaker probably won't fit for that godforsaken size can.

Old 07-17-17, 08:20 PM
I think that the shaker is adjustable. If not, it can be inserted into a can that fits the shaker.

Old 07-17-17, 08:39 PM
Yeah I took the can down to the hardware store where they have a paint shaker. They also sell the Herculiner stuff there but a sticker on all the cans specifically says "Do not shake.. stir only". So the guy said he could not shake it for me because of that, and because he said that size can won't fit into his shaker. Only regular size quart cans and gallon cans he said. I think the reason you're not supposed to shake it, according to the manufacturer warning sticker on the can, is because the gas or fumes or whatever inside can build up pressure with the shaking and maybe be hazardous if it was to blow.

Old 07-17-17, 08:50 PM
Wow, that's weird. Suppose you roll it down a hill? If it blows, you'll be at the top if the hill.

Old 07-17-17, 09:10 PM
Yeah it's weird all right. dang godforsaken can

Old 07-18-17, 02:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could also be that shaking the can could mix air bubbles into the coating, that is the reason you aren't supposed shake varnish/poly - stir only.

Old 07-18-17, 02:45 AM
Group Moderator
Put it in a vice and cut the whole top off then you can easily access the bottom and see what is going on. A can opener might work on the bottom and be easier. Transfer to a glass jar when you get it open.

Old 07-18-17, 02:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like Ray's idea doesn't have to be a glass jar, any container that can be sealed and is appropriately sized. I'm convinced the product is old, some can be rejuvenated with thinner but not always.

Old 07-18-17, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Glass jar makes it easy to see what is going on. May be key components in the sludge at the bottom that are needed for it to work correctly. ( At least I changed it from my first thought, Mason jar.)

Old 07-18-17, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My thoughts:
1) If all the stuff is at the bottom, cut the bottom of the can. Then rake out the remaining product into your regular shaped quart size container you bought.

2) Maybe try heating it? I dont know if it can be warmed up to make it a little thinner so it will pour out, but its a thought. Just research it to see if it can be heated at all. Maybe a low heat for a period of time until it gets warm/hot enough to stir & mix up, then pour our, etc.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 07-18-17, 07:09 AM
Another idea. Put a 5/8 wing tip bits in a drill & stir it with that.

Old 07-18-17, 08:23 AM
Put a 5/8 wing tip bits in a drill & stir it with that
Wing tip bit? Haven't heard of such before. Googling didn't help me either on that. I have heard of a wing nut and know what that is. Seems like maybe a wing nut attached solidly on the very bottom end of a rod in a drill could work as a decent stirrer/mixer, but other than welding it on I'm not sure how you'd get the nut on solid. I suppose you (I) could screw a wing nut onto a length of threaded rod (but behind a regular hex nut screwed onto the rod first as a stop for the wing nut) and then put the rod in a drill and try to stir with that.

Will probably get around to cutting the top off per that suggestion, see what's going on, and getting the remainder into another container, glass jar I maybe.

Old 07-18-17, 09:34 AM
https://www.ebay.com/i/322555158080?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Whatever they call that.

Old 07-18-17, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've always called those spade bits.

Old 07-18-17, 10:24 AM
Fine. Whatever it's called, use it.

Old 07-18-17, 11:40 AM
Ah okay a spade bit. Sure, good idea. I have one an inch and a quarter wide. I'll try it.

Old 07-18-17, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just be careful not to go all the way to the bottom with the bit's point

Old 07-18-17, 01:48 PM
It's an old dull bit anyway and I figure I might grind off the point first.

Old 07-18-17, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a plan

Old 07-18-17, 05:04 PM
Keep us posted.

Old 07-18-17, 05:35 PM
Keep us posted.
I surely will do.

Old 07-19-17, 08:33 PM
I decided to call Herculiner customer service about my tall shape can of their product. They told me they stopped having that kind of can in 2009, and that the shelf life of the unopened product is only up to three years. The told me that back when they sold their product in that shape of quart can it came with a skinny paint stirrer you could put in a drill and use to mix with. So it's no surprise since apparently the stuff is that old that I was having so much trouble trying to mix, and that it seems to have the big thick lump inside. I told the ebay seller I got if from the whole story and he said he was sorry and gave me a full refund. I probably won't bother now trying to do anything more with the can and what's left in it.

Old 07-20-17, 01:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you at least got answers.

It was honorable that the ebay seller refunded your money.

Glad it all worked out. Now we know.

Search this Thread