1995 Toyota Camry CA Smog Check

Old 07-17-17, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1995 Toyota Camry CA Smog Check

1995 Toyota Camry LE Wagon, V6, AT, 145,301 miles. Just had CA Star smog check passed 3 days ago, but HC (PPM) for both @15 mph and @25 mph are close to MAX. I remembered I had this same car Star smog check two years ago and HC values are close to MAX, too. The mechanic said it passed at the last 4-5 seconds test. He suggested to have tune up if I haven't had this car tune up for long time. I maintain this car by myself and only change engine oil and filter every 5K miles, add coolant if not enough, and fix broken parts. This car has running good and doesn't have major repair except wearable parts like brake pads. Below is result. Can anyone suggest what to do to improve HC (PPM)?

@15 mph, RPM: 1705
%CO2
MEAS: 14.8
%O2
MEAS: 0.1
HC (PPM)
MAX: 84
AVE: 29
MEAS: 83
CO (%)
MAX: 0.34
AVE: 0.02
MEAS: 0.11
NO (PPM)
MAX: 484
AVE: 45
MEAS: 283

@25 mph, RPM: 1682
%CO2
MEAS: 14.8
%O2
MEAS: 0.1
HC (PPM)
MAX: 49
AVE: 17
MEAS: 45
CO (%)
MAX: 0.32
AVE: 0.02
MEAS: 0.05
NO (PPM)
MAX: 498
AVE: 45
MEAS: 125

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 11:30 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
If it did pass wouldn't really worry about it I suppose you could do a tune up if its due for one but very simple things like how many miles is on the oil change can have a noticeable impact on hc would suggest next time you have to have it tested to change the oil before hand so your not seeing excess hc from the oil that gets contaminated with fuel over time.

Old 07-17-17, 11:42 AM
So changing oil can have noticeable improve on HC? How can I check/test myself before and after changing oil?

Old 07-17-17, 11:51 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
you cant really check it yourself without a gas analyzer you put in the tail pipe probably not cost effective to buy one, your oil change interval is fine for the most part I would not change it other than just maybe changing before a smog test.

Old 07-17-17, 11:54 AM
Thanks, I will keep it in mind to make sure I change oil and filter before next smog check.

Old 07-17-17, 12:56 PM
One thing that can be done is to make sure your Catalytic Converter is clean and fully functional.

How's that done . . . . very carefully.

I'm not prepared to write a procedure here; but I think I've written one in the past regarding the use of Lacquer Thinner added to the fuel to burn of the additives that build up on the platinum and palladium foam that comprises the innards of your Converter. It always interested me that these converters have no moving parts, and rarely rust out, so why should they so often be given the final rites ?

I had a failing Converter around 8 years ago on my Volvo S60 when it had something like a mere 120,000 miles on it. By periodically and carefully treating my car with a diluted amount of Lacquer Thinner (whenever the dreaded OBDII Code P0420 appears), I've successfully arrived the somewhat geriatric mileage of nearly 285,000 while still using the same Catalytic Converter.

It's not for everyone . . . . remember that word "Carefully" !