A/C: is replacing the dryer & evaporator necessary after compressor replacement

Old 07-18-17, 11:42 AM
Question A/C: is replacing the dryer & evaporator necessary after compressor replacement

For a 2007-2011 Honda CR-V replacing the AC compressor was bad enough.
The videos on doing the dryer and the evaporator look like a nightmare.
The guy at the parts store said that if I was replacing the compressor (with coil and clutch) that if I didn't replace the dryer and evaporator, the new compressor could be compromised/destroyed, is this indeed the case?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Normally when the system is opened to atmosphere..... the filter/dryer gets replaced.
The evaporator is the cold coil inside the car. That doesn't usually get replaced unless that and the dryer are a unit.

If the system is only briefly opened I'll forego the dryer replacement but the evacuation must be thorough. Any moisture in the system can be a major problem.

Old 07-18-17, 12:56 PM
suspect they may of meant to say compressor and drier and condenser looks like the drier is part of the condenser witch is just a desiccant bag they usually get replaced due to becoming clogged sometimes when a compressor goes bad.

Old 07-19-17, 06:18 AM
Apologies, I'm such a D/A, I meant to type "Expansion Valve" (not evaporator).

This is the part:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...331/10662443-p

Is this component necessary to replace at the same time that the AC compressor is replaced (and dryer replaced) ... ? (the guy at the parts store said yes)

Old 07-19-17, 08:30 AM
The guy at the parts store is not an engineer working for your vehicle manufacturer!

With that said, follow your factory service instructions. That will say to replace the dryer and the same amount of oil you get out of the old compressor by tipping it upside down and measuring what comes out.

Also to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump and to charge with refrigerant to a specific amount.

Get factory service manuals at your dealer parts department or same information at alldatadiy.com

Old 07-19-17, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I quit working on cars 15+ years ago but the only reason I would replace expansion valve is if the compressor came apart. When it does lots of small partials move around in system and can block ports in valve. If your compressor was making noise for awhile before it quit than good chance you need valve.

Old 07-23-17, 06:53 PM
Ok

If the compressor failed in a noisy way and was not addressed for an extended time, you could argue that replacing everything would be a good idea, the system when contaminated can be hard to flush. After a notable compressor failure, some mechanics even put in an in line filter to protect a new compressor from any residual contamination.

But most system failures are not that dramatic, a leaking compressor seal that degasses the system is way more typical. In that case, a good flushing should suffice and clear minor debris that might be able to clog up the valve. Drier replacement would certainly be viewed as routine, but pulling an extended vacuum can minimise the risk of reusing a drier.

It is quite simple, replace the drier and valve if you have the funds and want to have the most likely successful repair outcome, but bear in mind if the valve was really clogged you would still have some residual contamination risk. I would save the money and see how it goes without the replacement items noted. Just a good flushing and vacuum pull. Might take a close look at the old compressor and see if how it failed can be determined, would add some greater certainty to the risk decision.

Old 08-19-17, 05:20 PM
got the job done, was a nightmare, needed a proprietary tool to release the tensioner. No room to work in. Shouldn't have even had to do this at only 80k miles. No more Hondas for us

Old 08-19-17, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
I had forgotten about this thread but my sister just had a compressor crap out on her low mileage several year old Honda. They quoted a reasonable price so I said let them do it.