2007 Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 Transmission Oil Change

Old 07-27-17, 07:18 AM
2007 Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 Transmission Oil Change

I sent in a post awhile back asking for opinions on changing the fluid on a Chrysler with 100,000 miles on it. (it had never been changed. Two independent trans shops did not want to touch it, and forum responses indicated that taking it to a dealer was the way to go. I just had it done. I had the pan dropped, filter and fluid that dumped out was changed. I did not have it pressure flushed. It is working ok, and the dealer did not indicate any smoking gun considering damage this lack of maintenance on my part may have created. the dealer recommended changes every 60000 miles. I wonder if I can pressure flush it the next time safely? They put in 7 quarts of fluid according to the bill. How many quarts does this trans hold?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-17, 07:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the converter were drained, it could take 7 quarts. I would not do whatever a pressure flush is. Be happy that it worked.

Old 07-30-17, 06:55 PM
Fluid changes on high milage transmissions

Do not pressure flush, this dislodges crud inside that can plug up fluid ports and cause problems you never had before. Just drain, and in some case, drain and fill 2 or 3 times, to flush out the old fluid as fully as possible. Dropping the pan gets all the fluid out in one go. I am surprised pressure flushing is used at all, but I guess speed and efficiency of a shop is a necessary part of the equation.

Some transmissions have fluid change intervals as long as 100,000 miles, some are now filled for life. If the car was used for regular purposes, ie. no trailers, mountains, etc. it was probably fine. Highway miles are also easier on the unit than city, it is all about heat. Too much heat and the fluid deteriorates. At lower heat, the fluid will last a very long time.

As an aside, in some cases a transmission with old fluid shifts better than when new fluid is put in, the internal wear particles cause the clutch packs inside the transmission to lock up when needed more effectively with old fluid if the clutch packs themselves are otherwise worn. The clean and slippery new fluid will magnify the plates inside slipping, and give the impression the fluid change caused a problem.

Of course if this happens the transmission is nearing its service life anyways, but some mechanics will actually leave the fluid in a high mileage car as the best way to eek out whatever miles are left on the transmission before a rebuild is required or the car is taken out of service for other high mileage reasons.

Old 07-31-17, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info. It is working fine so far, and not leaking. The trans was never abused, (I wish I could say the same for the OUTSIDE of the car, and the interior) but it is what it is.