2012 Ford Focus transmission

Old 08-02-17, 07:10 AM
Unhappy 2012 Ford Focus transmission

I have a 2012 Ford Focus with about 7000 miles on it. Ford sent anther recall to have the computer for the transmission updated. I had this done about 2 months ago. My car will not go into reverse....unless you tried to change gears about 10 times and it finally goes into reverse. The light came on to have the transmission checked. I had it towed to the transmission place and I was told that the car computer and the transmission computer don't seem to be talking to each other. I was told they have to run more test today and do pressure checking. With the miles I have on my car I really don't believe I need a new transmission. Any ideas on what is causing my car not to go into reverse. It also sounds like it is running in neutral when it is in drive.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-17, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Did you mean 70,000 miles or is it actually only 7,000? It kind of sounds like a linkage problem, not sure if the newer vehicles use linkage/cable or if it's all electronic.

Old 08-02-17, 08:50 AM
Dual Clutch Auto

I think the auto for the 2012 year only came with one type of auto transmission, and this transmission is a problem, really an automated manual controlled by solenoids and computers. Your shift lever is really more like a switch commanding the computer. It is possible the problem is electrical (probably one or more of the solenoids), the computer or the internals, there have been problems with the whole setup, even in cars with lower mileage than yours. I would not be surprised if they replace the whole transmission. Sorry to say but this is a major flaw in this model.

I think Ford has extended the warranty covering the issues for cars built prior to 2013, your year and low mileage means you probably have the benefit of this.

Last edited by flatcrank; 08-02-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 08:51 AM
Transmission

Yes, it is actually 7000 miles...don't drive very much..

Old 08-02-17, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
At only 7000 miles, I think I would bypass all the middlemen and have a little chat with the service manager at the local dealership. Not a service writer or counter guy or even "assistant" anything. If you get no satisfaction there, ask for the contact number for the regional service manager.

Old 08-05-17, 11:27 AM
My car was towed to and transmission place and I was told that the transmission update that was done because of a recall failed. They said that they could download it there. Got a call saying that for some reason they could not download it. Car was towed to the dealer yesterday and I was told that if they check it and it was there fault they would pay for everything. If not I have to pay for it. If they did the software update for the recall and two months later it failed and would say it was there fault. No one called from the dealer to let me know it was there or when they would check it. Sorry to say they do not speak very nice to women. I have been through you know what and back and I am beyond frustrated. So know I have to wait for them to check it and figure out what to do. I have not had my car for 5 days and I sure it will be longer the way Ford is acting. I am so done with Ford.

Old 08-05-17, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sadly it's often more of a dealership issue than a manufacturer one. You might contact Ford directly and see if they will help any.

Old 08-05-17, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Second mark's suggestion. Need someone up the food chain with the big hammer.

Old 08-06-17, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I third it get a bigger hammer.