evaporator purge valve for 2008 Scion tC

Old 08-06-17, 01:15 PM
evaporator purge valve for 2008 Scion tC

I am thinking of buying a 2008 Scion tC which has the "Check Engine" light illuminated. A local Toyota dealer's service shop looked the car over and said the check engine light was on because the car needs a new evaporator purge valve. I was told by a friend that this is not a major problem and does not need to be taken care of immediately. He also said that it is an easy repair that a beginning Do-It-Yourselfer could do. The Toyota dealer's estimate to do the repair is $370 including .8 of an hour in labor.

Based on the above, I have 3 questions.

1. Does this problem need to be taken care of immediately, or will leaving it unrepaired possibly lead to other problems? One thing bothering me about delaying the repair is that there could be future "check engine" issues that come up and I won't be aware of them because the check engine light will still be on until the purge valve is replaced.

2. Since the dealer is estimating that it would take almost an hour to replace the purge valve, I'm wondering how easy it would be for a beginning DIYer to replace the valve.

3. Does the $370 repair estimate seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-17, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Well, at a dealership a lot of that is the cost of the part (plus, of course, "shop supplies", "environmental fee", etc etc that's added on). So yes that's probably reasonable. Have you priced the job at a good independent garage with aftermarket parts vice the oem?

And .8 hour labor means it's a pretty fast fix. Not sure where it's located on your Scion, but they're generally pretty accessible although you may need to get under the car. It'll be two small hoses, one connector and some mount attachment of some sort. Have you researched the physical location?

I wouldn't worry about fixing it right this minute, but for the reasons you mentioned I would do it fairly soon.

Old 08-06-17, 07:04 PM
Have you priced the job at a good independent garage with aftermarket parts vice the oem?
No. I haven't. I was asking about the reasonableness of the estimated repair cost mainly for negotiating the price of the car. My 17 year old son wants to try to do the repair. He has learned a lot about cars from Youtube and other Internet sites and is a beginner DIYer. He has some ramps that I believe will allow him to get the car up high enough to get access underneath, if necessary to do the repair.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-07-17, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just looked at part at Auto Zone it was 89$ Did not look at how to replace. but.8 hours tells me a mechanic could in less than.5

Old 08-07-17, 08:20 PM
Just looked at part at Auto Zone it was 89$ Did not look at how to replace. but.8 hours tells me a mechanic could in less than.5
Thanks. Sounds like we could save some money if my son does the job.

Old 08-08-17, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Oh definitely and barring finding something else during the job, should be well within DIY even for a novice. Looks like easy underhood location.

Youtube is our friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG4-vjlzaQ

Be sure to inspect the vacuum hoses during the fix.