Window stopped working in my 02 Windstar.

Old 09-16-17, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window stopped working in my 02 Windstar.

When I push the button to try and open the driver's side window, it doesnt work.

Instead, I simply hear a clicking noise coming from under the dash.

I also noticed that when I depress the button, the lights in the cluster dim very slightly.

Coincidentally, the only other button that works on this panel is the passenger side front window.

Yesterday the button for the right rear window also stopped working.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 03:39 PM
Switch

The switch is probably corroded. I think in this car all the windows go through the master window switch on the drivers door, so that may be why the other windows are affected. Remove the switch, spray contact cleaner on and you are probably good to go.

Old 09-16-17, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Addressing the problem front drivers window....

If you hear the window relays click and the lights dim.... it is not a switch problem. It's a stuck motor or defective drive mechanism .

Old 09-18-17, 09:45 AM
Relay

I think normally you are correct in that if the relay clicks, other lights dim, the switch must be ok. But I think it is possible to have rely activate but through the master switch failing not enough amps to actually actuate the window (I may be incorrect here, I would normally presume a clicking relay means the switch actuated it and the problem is further downstream). The issue here that suggests its not the motor is other windows are having problems as well.

I am not familiar with this specific car, I think the relay may actually be a inside a module of some sort that controls all windows, that could be the item of failure here.

It could be motor failure, but odd if more than one motor are failing conincident with the initial problem being identified. Unless the front motor failure somehow damages the module?

But I think a quick check and clean at the switches can rule the switch/contact corrosion out more definitively before moving to the module. Water can get into these switches and behind the panel and corrode things.

Old 09-18-17, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Dirty/corroded switches are indeed a common problem.

The master control in the drivers switch panel controls the other three windows.... not the drivers window.

Old 09-18-17, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
quick test. with the van running, so you have full volts. hold the button the way you want it to go. and slam the door. if it works your motor is bad. if it does not nothing changes, anything could still be the problem.

Old 09-20-17, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by iceman681 View Post
quick test. with the van running, so you have full volts. hold the button the way you want it to go. and slam the door. if it works your motor is bad. if it does not nothing changes, anything could still be the problem.

I followed your instructions.

Slammed the living hell our of this door... nothing.

Old 09-20-17, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Dirty/corroded switches are indeed a common problem.

The master control in the drivers switch panel controls the other three windows.... not the drivers window.

Based on the symptoms (of the relay clicking and cluster lights slightly dimming), do you still feel that its most likely the motor?

Or is there a possibility that it may also be a problem with the panel?