Hemi oil overflow when filling

Old 09-20-17, 07:23 AM
Hemi oil overflow when filling

Monday I changed the oil in my new-to-me 2013 Dodge Citadel (5.7L Hemi). I have one of those big funnels that holds a 5-quart jug upside-down as it empties. As it poured into the filler neck I heard a gurgling sound coming from the air snorkel. I opened the airbox lid to find my filter soaked.

Is it stupid engineering to put the pcv hose on the oil filler so fast-filling will aspirate oil up the hose & into the airbox, or is there an actual problem with my engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-17, 07:28 AM
Normal

Nothing wrong, typical problem when filling too quickly. Use a small funnel and fill slowly.

Old 09-20-17, 02:22 PM
How typical?
This isn't the only car I've used the funnel on and none of the others backed up. Has me wondering if there's something obstructing the filler.

Old 09-20-17, 04:59 PM
Typical

This is a design issue of sorts for this the hemi engine, but as I say if you fill slowly with a small funnel, you are good to go. I think if you asked a dealer or web searched the issue you will find it very common to have the backup when using a big fill funnel as you did.

Old 09-20-17, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
I had no clue what a Citadel was. Thought it was a Canadian model. Trim level for a Durango I see now.

Old 09-21-17, 02:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never worked on a modern day hemi but change the oil on all my vehicles and for some of the kids. More than once I've change the oil on vehicles that required a slower pour of the fresh oil to prevent the oil from spilling over. Since my funnel only accommodates quarts I have to pay attention when I use a 5 qt jug.

Old 09-21-17, 06:16 AM
Thank you flatcrank.

I took the pretty plastic cover off the engine & see that the oil fill is a plastic extension that's flattened out & has a "dog leg" bend in it to place the opening in a convenient spot in that pretty cover. Aesthetics trumps function.
I'm lucky the oil didn't come up around the funnel and spill all over the top of the motor & exhaust manifold.

Slow pour from now on with THIS truck.

I DID Google my question before posting and found nothing about the restriction--but did find plenty of other issues to watch for. Swell.

Old 09-23-17, 08:42 AM
Well, both my Highlander and RX350 have same under the filler neck shield of a sort. So you can NOT pour oil in quickly or it WILL come out of filler neck. Why - that is between gods of enginnering and Toyota designers.
On the other hand, on my 4.7L Magnum oil filler is about the size of my fist and you can pour in all you want to. But it's on the engine SIDE, not in valve cover.
Otherwise, welcome to Dodge.