Overdrive stopped engaging

Old 10-01-17, 08:27 AM
Overdrive stopped engaging

Hi folks,
I was recently driving avout 60, when my 2008 Ford Focus dropped out of overdrive and back into third gear. Nothing I tried would make it re-engage, so I drove all the way home this way. The next day, I drove the car, and overdrive worked normally. I have not driven the car since. The fluid level is good, and doesn't look discolored or smell burned. Any ideas what happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-17, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Any chance the overdrive button was pressed turning off OD?

Old 10-01-17, 08:42 AM
How many miles on the vehicle?
Has the transmission been serviced?

Old 10-01-17, 08:43 AM
Nope, i played with this while it was happening with no effect.

Old 10-01-17, 08:55 AM
149000 miles. Has run like a top until this. No service ever on the tranny, but the kid at the oil change place kept trying to sell me a transmission flilush...

Old 10-01-17, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Im saying that there was a quick code that threw in the computer. For example a brake issue will prevent the cruise from setting. It was probably a quick glitch, just enough to throw, then go off. The "CEL" may have just as quickly came on, then off, so you may not have seen it. In some cases, the cruise will not reset until you restart your car.
So, if indeed this was the issue, the code canceled the cruise & the cruise would not reset until you restarted that car, now it works fine.

Just a possibility for you to investigate.

Old 10-01-17, 07:36 PM
if the brake switch became faulty and caused your brake lights to stay on. it would kill the OD. high fail rate. would not produce a code. best way to check is to have second person watch as you press and release the brakes. if they stay on when not depressed. the switch is the issue.

Old 10-02-17, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
I dunno about a 08 Focus but brakes don't affect OD on my 04 Verona at all. CC yes, but not OD. Thats purely based on speed, load, gas pedal pressure, etc. And yeah, a tap on the brakes will turn off CC, but if it's flat and level and I keep my foot steady, it just cruises along in OD like the tranny didn't know anything was going on.

Old 10-02-17, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have the codes read at a O,Reilly not Auto Zone. They can read all the codes. Just had it done the other day. If I am lucky problem cleared up by it's self.

Old 10-02-17, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After reading the thread title again, I see that I misinterpreted the wording. I read it that the cruise shut off, not the overdrive. So, my post in post 6 is irrelevant. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-02-17, 07:34 PM
ford still cancels OD with brake application

Old 10-03-17, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Just doing some searching and found this info on a few Ford (and Focus) specific forums. The OD switch can be a problem itself. One thing hasn't been asked I think. Was the OD light on (indicating OD Off) on the dash? Or was it off and still it wouldn't go into OD? I believe all the ones I read also had the light ON when it was a switch problem.

If it was ON, cleaning with an electronic contact cleaner seemed to help most people. Some got the switch out somehow and some just did it in place. Not sure how effective that second one would be but I dunno what the switch is like either.

Old 10-04-17, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas. The problem has not reappeared since that one time last Friday. I will keep an eye on it, and will try your ideas if it happens again.
As for the O/D light, it was unlit. Once I noticed that the O/D had stopped working, I pressed that button several times. Each time the light worked correctly, but there was no change within the transmission.
Let's see how it behaves for awhile, and I'll report back if it acts up again.
Thanks,
Andy