Bearing noise and how to find

Old 10-17-17, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bearing noise and how to find

So I have a 2003 cadillac deville. When you start it up there is a loud bearing noise almost like a failing waterpump. I first thought it was a waterpump bearing but this car has a separate belt on the one side that drives the pump. I removed the belt but it was still there. The alternator just went so I replaced it and thought the noise was coming from that as it started right after the alternator failed. but with the new alternator still there. I loosened the serpentine belt and turned the idler pulley and the tensioner wheel and those seem smooth. MY thoughts are the power steering pump or the ac compressor. I need to try and mail down further. I was wondering if it is a ac compressor bearing would it change pitch by turning the ac on/off. It doesnt change when i turn the ac on off anyways. How else can you nail it down as the noise transmits everwhere. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 10:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used to take a long stick & use it as a stethoscope. One end near the bearing(s) & the other end on my ear.

Old 10-17-17, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Turn A/C off and see if noise quits. Some cars even on heat a/c compressor runs.

Old 10-17-17, 11:08 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
The A/C clutch runs on a bearing all the time whether the clutch is engaged or not