Can I cut a chunk out of my banged up fender? It's damaging my tire..

Old 10-20-17, 12:02 PM
Question Can I cut a chunk out of my banged up fender? It's damaging my tire..

Hey friends,
I need some help. Can I use a sawzall or something to cut out a portion of my fender?

When I take this '02 Hyundai Sonata at highway speeds, any bumps or dips in the road results in this banged up fender bouncing against my passenger side tire, creating sharp wear on the tread. I noticed some significant lines in the tread, so I only drive this car at low speeds for now. The point of contact seems to be the indented point where the fender meets the bumper.

Can I just cut off 3-4" of the damaged body material so it doesn't come in contact with my tire? Are there any wires in there that would prevent me from doing so? What kind of tool should I use, a Sawzall?

Quick story behind the car: I was in a collision and the offending driver drove off. Like a cheap doofus, I didn't have coverage for uninsured driver etc so I had to pay for repairs out of pocket. I had an alignment shop get the thing driveable again, and I just asked them to bend the fender out of the way of the tire. I couldn't afford full body repair since, wow, that is really expensive. I guess the fender still isn't fully clear, so I'm trying to get creative.. It's an old car, and I really don't care about the aesthetics at all, I just want to drive it without damaging tires and risking a blowout on the road.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Moriah

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-17, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the wheel and use a big hammer to beat fender out of way.

Old 10-20-17, 01:29 PM
Like a small sledge? Would I have enough space to swing a hammer sufficiently if I laid on the ground after jacking up the car and removing the wheel?

Old 10-20-17, 01:33 PM
You won't know until you try, but it looks like there may be sufficient room to beat the fender out so it's not rubbing. Yes, use a small sledge hammer.

Old 10-20-17, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you could cut away the fender it would a lot smarter to beat it out. If you can't swing a hammer good enough you could set a bottle jack in there braced with wood and jack it out.

Old 10-20-17, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
A come-along hooked to it might pull it out. Maybe a board behind to distribute the pull or use an eye bolt with a backup plate.

Old 10-20-17, 02:53 PM
You will quite likely have to remove the inner fender liner in order to get to the point of impact with a hammer, but that's just a matter of removing 8-10 sheet metal screws, or however many, and wiggling the liner out. Makes a whole lot more sense to me than hacking at the fender with a reciprocating saw.

Old 10-20-17, 03:59 PM
Here in Vermont, altering the sheet metal skin of that fender could make it impossible to pass the annual vehicle inspection.

I'd reckon that you could get a NEW primed sheet metal fender for that vehicle for less than $150 on eBay.

Old 10-21-17, 05:25 AM
Stick a 2X4 between the tire and the fender and pry the fender out. It's only sheet metal.

Old 10-21-17, 08:44 AM
It doesn't take a lot to pull that out. If you have or can borrow a large C clamp you can push the end of the C inside the fender and pull it out by hand. It doesn't take a lot of force.

Old 10-21-17, 11:51 AM
Here in Vermont, altering the sheet metal skin of that fender could make it impossible to pass the annual vehicle inspection.
No inspections here in MI, you should see some of the death traps that are on the road.

Recently saw a smashed up front end, had a bungee cord holding the hood down, unbelievable they allow that krap on the roads.

Old 10-21-17, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect mich might be like tenn, no mandatory vehicle inspection BUT a trooper can pull you over and give you an on the spot vehicle inspection. I don't know for sure but assume what happens next depends on the results of the inspection - ticket or towed off.

Old 10-21-17, 04:15 PM
by the number of derelicts on the street I doubt that happens often, I suspect we would be getting into some form of profiling!