Scirocco R

Old 10-28-17, 05:33 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Scirocco R

Hi, well I traded in my chevy spark and got a Scirocco R (2013 with 53,000 km). It has APR stage 2 and apr intercooler.
I'm new to VW cars so I'm trying to brush up on as much info I can about VW cars, particularly my model.

I'll need to do an oil change right away. Does anyone know if the VW scirocco's oil can be changed by any professional or can it only be done by the actual VW service center? I know that some cars/makes have setups where only the service center of that brand can access or open parts up.

I also have a question about my wheel (ATS Racelight 19 inch). If the wheel is 19 inches, the tire must be 19 inches also correct? I am not allowed to use 18" on them? But if the width is 235 tires, I do believe I can use 225 tires or even 245 tires correct? I have to shop for new tires and I was just wondering how much I can deviate from the current 235/35z/19 tires.
Would something like 235/45/19 be ok to fit?

Old 10-28-17, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wow, that's quite a step up I'd say.

Don't know why any place wouldn't be able to do it, just don't let them use the crappy off the shelf filters or bulk oil unless it's exactly what is spec'd in the manual. Buy a top of the line name brand or OEM. Oh, and don't use an oil change only place. Find a good import shop that deals with your brand. You'll save in the long run.

As to tires, yes you could probably go up or down as you mentioned, but I wouldn't go down. The suspension is set up for those type tires, smaller might mess with the calibration for no gain. It's a minuscule amount either way. Be careful that wider don't rub the inner fenders.

If it's got 35's you probably need to stay with 35's. https://tiresize.com/calculator/ You can play with that and see how much each difference makes.

Old 10-29-17, 03:50 AM
G
thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've never driven on wheels this big before. It definitely feels the road more....I was thinking if I go with 235/40/19s it might be a tad bit smoother? I'll keep the width at 235 and size at 19, but was wondering if I could do 40s or even 45 instead of 35...it's a very thin sidewall.

Old 10-29-17, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Google tire size calculator. Here is the first one I found but there are better.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/t...xoCzcgQAvD_BwE

Old 10-29-17, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
It definitely feels the road more.
it's a very thin sidewall.
Uhhh, that's kind of the point of the car...handling. Change the tires and it probably won't do as well.

I really doubt you'd notice any difference between 35's and 45's, since not that long ago, 45's used to be the ne plus ultra of high performance tires.

Old 10-29-17, 04:15 PM
G
That's good to know as I've never driven on either 35s, 40s, 45s until now, so I wouldn't know what the difference feels like.
If it's not that much difference perhaps I can look into 45s on my next set of tires.

Old 10-30-17, 04:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would look up VW or Scirocco forums for more research. I would not increase the tire diameter without looking carefully at how much space you have to do so. Sounds like the car you bought has been (highly) modified. (I am not familiar with the VW brand, as well as modifications to them). If so it may have been lowered and the larger tires you are considering may "rub" or contact the wheel well surfaces.

About the oil, you could try finding the oil specified in the owner's manual, or again try to figure out what is recommended for the APR Stage 2 setup maybe on a VW forum. It may be different to the OE recommended due to the tuning.

Old 10-31-17, 04:58 PM
G
thanks for your reply, I appreciate whatever constructive advice you guys can give.

Old 10-31-17, 05:06 PM
G
Only 3 days into owning this car and my poor candy white car got 3 small door dings today (well I noticed them today). 2 on the driver's side door and 1 and on the passenger side door. My spark went through an initiation when I first got that, too. Just 2 weeks into owning the spark, it had white paint thrown on it, then it had the rear window completely smashed that I had to replace. Of course it had about probably over 50 door dings in the few years I owned it.

I know about the usual tips of parking far away from other cars, or stay away from other coupes (longer doors) or old vehicles with lots of dings themselves, or trucks, etc. Sometimes I can't control who I'm parked next to. Where I live, 90% of people here do not own their own parking spot or garages as there is no room for any. We all have to park in large lots around the town.

I had an idea....do you think I can just invest in buying a junkyard car for under $1k, no insurance, to solely use it for the purpose of parking? I'll save a corner spot everytime or use the junkyard car to simply take the parking spot next to me so that I can sort of block my car away from others.

I'm thinking about it and I don't think having no insurance will be a problem since the car will never be driven except for parking...or i can always go with the most basic insurance which comes to less than $200/yr where I live, might even be cheaper once they know the car is a junkyard car.

Old 10-31-17, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Oh please...not another add-on to an already answered thread that just goes on for weeks with no real resolution. If you have the cash to waste to buy a $1000 junker, pay the fees, yearly insurance and anything else needed, then you may as well buy 2. One for each side. That won't help with the front or rear though, or rock dropping pigeons. Until of course one of them gets towed for some rule you knew nothing about. Or maybe get rid of your car and use public transit. Plenty of that in Korea isn't there?

It get's dinged, so what. Dings can be easily fixed w/o much work or money. Not like you'll be paying to bring it back to CAN, if you ever move back, would you?

Old 11-01-17, 07:22 AM
G
Hey Gunguy, I'm not looking for a lecture. I'm only looking to explore all options and possibilities.
I've read tons of forums and you're one of those people who say, "well then don't buy an expensive car! Just buy a crappy car and there, you're problem is solved!" Everything you said, I already have thought about but I knew someone would answer my question this way lol (yeah, buy 2 cars and sandwich in myself...nice sarcasm).

The only part that I actually found helpful was when you mentioned that door dings are easily fixed and don't cost much. I've never had to repair doors for dings since I've never had any in Canada in the many years I've owned a car there. How do they fix door dings? I don't mean use your momma's hair dryer and a toilet plunger. Those are for big dents. I'm talking about the tiny ones that can be easily seen esp. on an angle and the paint/clearcoat has been compromised. I would normally just use touch up paint and clearcoat paint and dab it so that it would at least cover it up and prevent it from rusting/spreading. But the actual ding, I have no idea how that gets repaired. I assume the autobody paint center would have to sand that area down, then repaint it. It really doesn't cost much? I've had a small section of my front bumper repainted and that cost $80 bucks (in Canada) and that was for just small scratches/scrape marks. Even if/after I fixed it, I would just get more dings again, so that solution doesn't really make sense either. I'm looking more for how to prevent it from happening in the first place. And NO, I'm not going to wrap my car in styrofoam boxes like you are thinking.

I don't like the idea of just accepting the fact that I will accumulate 20-50 door dings in the next couple years, so no, that is not an answer. I will look into possibly finding a spot to rent somewhere in my town...paying for that rental spot might be better than investing in a junky car to help insinulate me when parked.

Oh yeah, so you tell me why I add another question in this thread that will just go on endlessly? But aren't you one of those same guys who complained when I made a NEW thread that I don't need to keep making new threads about the same topic?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: