Can I use orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid in my 2012 Buick Verano?

Old 11-11-17, 09:45 AM
Question Can I use orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid in my 2012 Buick Verano?

The manual "recommends" Optikleen® Washer Solvent for my 2012 Buick Verano. How do I tell if the orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid I have is safe to use in my car?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-17, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Like most auto makers, they always recommend their own fluids [tranny, power steering, brake fluid, washer fluid]. Puts more money in the bank for them.

I personally would have no issues using ANY kind of aftermarket fluid in my washer tanks. It's just a window washing concoction.

Old 11-11-17, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
I have used a variety of windshield washer fluids even mixing brands and have never had an issue in any make/model vehicle. I think Rain-X 2 in 1 is what I'm using now in a couple of my cars. It works well at removing dirt and bug remains. My only complaint is that it has a stronger smell then other fluids but it's not bad.

Old 11-13-17, 01:07 PM
Methanol

Optikleen is simply 80% methanol, the balance is water. The Rainx 2in1 is probably less than 50% methanol, so for the better value and ultimate cold protection the Optikleen is the better value. That is also why Optikleen smells stronger. Methanol is vey poisonous, even the fumes are not good for you, so don't run your defroster while spraying the fluid on a cold morning while warming the car up, you suck in alcohol fumes that are not good for you.

Rainx does not provide the other ingredients for its washer fluids, it is made by another manufacturer and the MSDS is only available on request. My guess is there is some monobutyl ethers in there for cleaning action, and perhaps some of the siloxane compounds that are in most of the Rainx water beading products. I personally have found the Rain x can leave a film on the windshield that can impact vision under certain conditions of oncoming headlight glare. Must be the siloxanes that give the water beading property but leave a minute residue that gets into the pores of the glass over repeated use. I am surprised this product has such broad market acceptance.

I would stick with the methanol only (or some brands use isopropanols, less poisonous) with no other additives. You can put a couple of teaspoons of ammonia in a basic alcohol fluid and get the bug/detergent action with no residues being left to cause visibility problems.

For the extra price of Rain-x I would rather just fill using a cheap vodka

Old 11-13-17, 03:43 PM
Like most auto makers, they always recommend their own fluids [tranny, power steering, brake fluid, washer fluid]. Puts more money in the bank for them.

So I used to release the break fluid(s) for GM global, and believe it or not, our fluids were actually better than anything you could by at your auto parts stores. The Dexos oil may not have been the best oil out there but was considered a min quality based on powertrain requirements.

Was it a way to gain some additional revenue, of course, but my experience was that the company was also attempting to establish a min standards for all the fluids.

Honestly, I never heard anything about windshield solvents!

Old 12-02-17, 12:22 PM
you can but I don't recommend it because I used it and it smeared the windshield, so I sucked it out and went back to tried and true blue.

Old 12-02-17, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... many people have found that RainX can leave a smear. People that wear glasses, and especially at night, have problems seeing thru the windshield with that on.

Old 12-21-17, 04:33 PM
Glad i stumbled on this.....

I had treated my windshield with the Rain-X liquid awhile ago. Ever since, during rainstorms, I had started to notice spots on the windshield that were really distracting and also visually impairing, especially at night when headlight glare was a factor. Thought it was me! My eye doctor prescribed a pair of glasses for night driving that seems to help but the spots are still a problem in the daylight. Anyone know how to remove Rain-X from your windshields?

Old 12-21-17, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
When I want to clean my windshield completely before applying RainX I wet the windshield and use a few wet paper towels and some Comet or one of those scouring powders. It doesn't take much. After washing the windshield thoroughly with that...rinse well.

Old 12-21-17, 05:19 PM
Pjmax.....

.Thanks for the reply. Actually I have been treating the windows with the mild scouring powder for years. I had worked with a O.T.R. driver who taught me that because it removed road oil and grit. Great guy, may he RIP!!! Then I tried it with the Rain-X . Now my problem is getting rid of the Rain-X!!! The scouring power hasn't seemed to work on removing it.l
Thought it was a improvement and instead was a detriment

Old 12-21-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
You could try lighter fluid. It won't hurt the windshield. Silicone is an interesting substance and is pretty resilient to almost anything. The only other way I know of to remove the silicone is to use a buffing wheel to polish the glass. You could use a touch of scouring power or do it dry. Maybe try a felt buffing wheel.

They do make glass polishing systems that come with a mild abrasive.

Old 12-21-17, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
I'd probably contact rain-x directly either by FB, or email.

Old 12-22-17, 02:18 AM
use a few wet paper towels and some Comet or one of those scouring powders
You use scouring powder on a glass windshield?

Ive heard of Bon Ami being used which I just looked up and confirmed, would never grab a can of Comet on glass.

Favorite Uses for the 1886 Formula

People write in all the time with interesting uses for the 1886 Formula Cleaning Powder. One of the most common is cleaning glass. The original formula is safe to use on most glass because the tallow soap means that slurry of the powder and a little water will glide over the glass surface, cleaning away dirt but not scratching. This formula leaves behind a slight, invisible film that protects the glass from salt spray making it a favorite for boats and seaside homes. This film keeps mirrors from fogging up in the bathroom too.

Old 12-22-17, 02:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Scrubbing the glass with mineral spirits [or lighter fluid] should remove the rainx.

Old 12-23-17, 04:23 PM
Polish

This the safe product to remove embedded silicon and other contaminants in the pores of the glass. https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html

Old 12-23-17, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bar Keepers Friend, my friends, Bar Keepers Friend.

Search this Thread