Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I use orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid in my 2012 Buick Verano?

11-11-17, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Can I use orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid in my 2012 Buick Verano?

The manual "recommends" Optikleen® Washer Solvent for my 2012 Buick Verano. How do I tell if the orange RAINX 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid I have is safe to use in my car?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-11-17, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Like most auto makers, they always recommend their own fluids [tranny, power steering, brake fluid, washer fluid]. Puts more money in the bank for them.

I personally would have no issues using ANY kind of aftermarket fluid in my washer tanks. It's just a window washing concoction.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Group Moderator

NC

11-11-17, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I have used a variety of windshield washer fluids even mixing brands and have never had an issue in any make/model vehicle. I think Rain-X 2 in 1 is what I'm using now in a couple of my cars. It works well at removing dirt and bug remains. My only complaint is that it has a stronger smell then other fluids but it's not bad.

CANADA

11-13-17, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Methanol

Optikleen is simply 80% methanol, the balance is water. The Rainx 2in1 is probably less than 50% methanol, so for the better value and ultimate cold protection the Optikleen is the better value. That is also why Optikleen smells stronger. Methanol is vey poisonous, even the fumes are not good for you, so don't run your defroster while spraying the fluid on a cold morning while warming the car up, you suck in alcohol fumes that are not good for you.

Rainx does not provide the other ingredients for its washer fluids, it is made by another manufacturer and the MSDS is only available on request. My guess is there is some monobutyl ethers in there for cleaning action, and perhaps some of the siloxane compounds that are in most of the Rainx water beading products. I personally have found the Rain x can leave a film on the windshield that can impact vision under certain conditions of oncoming headlight glare. Must be the siloxanes that give the water beading property but leave a minute residue that gets into the pores of the glass over repeated use. I am surprised this product has such broad market acceptance.

I would stick with the methanol only (or some brands use isopropanols, less poisonous) with no other additives. You can put a couple of teaspoons of ammonia in a basic alcohol fluid and get the bug/detergent action with no residues being left to cause visibility problems.

For the extra price of Rain-x I would rather just fill using a cheap vodka

MI

11-13-17, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Like most auto makers, they always recommend their own fluids [tranny, power steering, brake fluid, washer fluid]. Puts more money in the bank for them.

So I used to release the break fluid(s) for GM global, and believe it or not, our fluids were actually better than anything you could by at your auto parts stores. The Dexos oil may not have been the best oil out there but was considered a min quality based on powertrain requirements.

Was it a way to gain some additional revenue, of course, but my experience was that the company was also attempting to establish a min standards for all the fluids.

Honestly, I never heard anything about windshield solvents!

Search this Thread