Need Good Aftermarket Body Panel - Honda

Old 11-12-17, 11:13 AM
Need Good Aftermarket Body Panel - Honda

I have a Honda CRV with a black rear bumper cover. Looking for a good alternative to a Honda part which is $300. I understand CAPA certification but I am worried about cheap plastic than may not last in the sun.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 10:21 PM
You can get knock off parts anywhere, even on eBay, it's not the plastic that is usually the problem but sometimes the fit is not so great.

Old 11-12-17, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Is it an unpainted cover? IIRC even those that are stock black and the new cover is also black (unpainted) they say should be painted to protect from the sun.

Old 11-13-17, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When my son hit a deer with his crown vic we chose CAPA parts from RockAuto. Their prices seemed to be as good or better than elsewhere. Even with the CAPA certification the fit wasn't perfect. You could also go to a junkyard and get a used bumper cover. Painting it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 11-13-17, 07:05 AM
CAPA certified parts are tested for fit on an undamaged car. Unfortunately, if you're replacing body panels due to a collision, there's probably some underlying damage. With the tolerances on things now, even a slight bend or tweak can mess with fitment. I ran into that issue with my wife's car.

Junkyards / pick-and-pulls are a great place, especially for common cars like a CRV. There are also some Honda dealers who sell online, either on their websites or eBay, at a discount. The only problem with that is shipping. A CAPA certified bumper cover for my car was $60 at RockAuto, but shipping would have been over $100 by freight truck due to the size. Finding it locally out of a junk yard saves that shipping cost.

Old 11-13-17, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We found that shipping prices vary with RockAuto. The most expensive headlamp was actually cheaper once you included shipping.

Old 11-18-17, 06:42 PM
I just bought an aftermarket headlight assembly from Rock Auto. I spent the extra $20 and got a CAPA certified part. It doesn't fit as well as it should, but this car is pretty much a winter beater. It works, but if my car was really nice, I wouldn't be happy with the part. OEM part was like $480, aftermarket was $194. I would do as others suggested, go to a pick a part or a junkyard and get the oem part used if you want a good quality fit. You get what you pay for as they say.