Costco interstate battery warranty?

Old 11-19-17, 04:46 PM

Does anyone know or have experience with Costco's interstate brand automotive battery?

I just replaced 65 months old Kirkland battery on my Highlander and since Kirkland batteries had 100 month warranty, I was able to receive 40% prorated warranty refund.
Now I purchased Interstate battery from Costco and the label says 42 months free replacement. However, there are no mention of prorated warranty anywhere. Not even on Costco's website.
Interstate's website also does not show Costco models at all.

Is new Costco interstate battery only warrantied for 42 months full refund and no warranty afterword?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-17, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That might be the end of the warranty.

Old 11-19-17, 05:23 PM
That might be the end of the warranty.
Just checked Advance Auto Parts' AutoCraft Gold battery and it appears it has 3 year replacement and no prorated warranty. Same goes for Diehard (Sears) and Duralast (Autozone).
Interstate (sold at their shop or mechanic's shop) still has prorated warranty. Bosch and Walmart's EverStart still has prorated warranty as well.

So, it appears many house brands no longer have prorated warranty.
My next battery probably will be Walmart or Bosch as they seem to have longest warranty for the price. Costco is still the cheapest, but not by much.

Old 11-19-17, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
I doubt you are going to find any 100 month warranties now. Batteries just don't last that long anymore. A 100 month warranty would be a sure loser.

Old 11-19-17, 05:34 PM
I guess that a 42 month free replacement sounds better to customers than a longer prorated warranty. Once one of them changed policy, the rest followed.

Old 11-19-17, 06:02 PM
I guess that a 42 month free replacement sounds better to customers than a longer prorated warranty.
Most still have 36 months warranty and some have 2 to 4 years prorated warranty after that. 6 more months of free replacement will not make a much of difference when the warranty ends right there.
100 months warranty is probably too long, but 36 or 42 months warranty without prorated warranty is too short.

Old 11-19-17, 06:16 PM
Ask at the store next time you are there.

Old 11-19-17, 06:25 PM
I haven't had to buy a battery in quite awhile but I'm really not surprised that the warranty was reduced. I'm about the only person who still checks the level in the batteries that aren't sealed.

Old 11-19-17, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
If you buy a store's premium branded battery..... you will pay more for it. You will get a little longer warranty. Will it last any longer... maybe but are you saving anything. Not really.

Old 11-19-17, 09:14 PM
If you buy a store's premium branded battery..... you will pay more for it. You will get a little longer warranty. Will it last any longer... maybe but are you saving anything. Not really.
I was comparing prices with batteries with same rating as Costco's battery. Which actually is the top premium model sold at most stores.

For 24F battery, I need.
Costco Interstate 700CCA 42 months free replacement : $89.90
Bosch Premium Perfromance 700CCA 36 months free replacement, 60 months prorated : $99.99 @ Pepboys
Walmart EverStart Maxx 750CCA 36 months free replacement, 24 months prorated : $93.76
Exide Extreme 800CCA 40 months free replacement : $99.00 @ Home Depot

I did not even bother comparing batteries that were over $100.

Costco battery doesn't look so great anymore. For 2 or more years of prorated warranty, I am willing to pay $10 more
Also will save money if I choose to go with lower CCA and compromise on the warranty. Higher CCA batteries have longer warranty because higher CCA has higher capacity and most vehicles need much less CCA to start. So, even when the battery is weak, it still has enough power to start engine. This is also the reason I go for higher CCA battery for a reasonable price.

Old 11-19-17, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt you are going to find any 100 month warranties now. Batteries just don't last that long anymore. A 100 month warranty would be a sure loser.
my truck battery lasted 11 years... Original AC delco..

And the difference in batterys with regards to warranty is this..

Its the gap at the bottom of the plates and battery case.

Long warranty, bigger gap.

Because when the crap falls off the plates and fills the bottom it kills the cell...

Old 11-19-17, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
I have Napa HD batteries in my diesel van. They're just getting weak and are around 8 years old. I don't expect new ones to last that long.

Old 11-20-17, 02:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was dismayed when I bought my last 2 AutoZone batteries that they no longer have a prorated warranty, after the free replacement period ends - so does the warranty. Apparently that is now the industry standard

Old 11-20-17, 05:27 AM
Another thing is that when you buy from Costco or BJ's, you paid more for your battery because you paid a fee to join the club.

Old 11-20-17, 06:18 AM
I suppose you could look at it that way--if the battery was the only thing you bought during your membership.

Old 11-20-17, 07:51 AM
Another interesting thing about buying from those clubs is that state sales tax is collected on the full price not on the discounted price. Instant rebates are taxed differently. I paid $3.00 tax on a $99.00 TV. When I saw that on the screen, I quickly asked the lady behind me. The next day, I made some calls & what she said was verified. I won't pay money now for the promise of a discount tomorrow. BTW, the TV was the same price ($99.00) at PC Richard not that I'm a fan of them either but you get the point.

Old 11-20-17, 06:22 PM
Most batteries now use a lead alloy, rather than pure lead, to keep the cost down. Some batteries are pure lead, often the ones for audiophiles who need the best batteries. Northstar is a good pure lead battery, a sealed agm. But once you see the price, you can see why the manufacturers still offer conventional lead (alloy) acid technology which works fine enough for typical applications. I would replace a cheap battery every three years rather than trying to eke out the last year or two of use only to be stranded somewhere.

Batteries can fail quickly, the statistical failure rate from defect is higher than one might expect, hence why there is so much focus on warranties. I would simply want a one year warranty to deal with initial manufacturing defect potential. Otherwise go for the cheapest price and replace more proactively going forward rather than playing warranty roulette.

There are only two or three main battery makers who make all of the brands. Some have better quality control than others, Johnson Controls is generally viewed as the best. I think that is the Costo supplier.

Old 11-20-17, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
I dont worry about the warrantys..

I usually buy exides from tractor supply.. I got two grp 78's for my truck for $99 bucks each...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...uv-battery-78s

770 CCA

And one is part of the camper package on my truck, so the other is used for camper 7 pin on truck with isolater..

Exide actually lists a 20ah rating on this batt as 70 ah.... The original AC delcos only listed a 62 ah rating...

This is a great starting batt IMO...

Old 11-20-17, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
And the thing with silverados is the ECM controls the charge rate... The ECM puts the batts in desulfation mode. Today I was charging at 15.4 volts...

Old 11-20-17, 07:27 PM
As far as I know, most American built batteries are built by just a couple companies, mostly Johnson Controls and Exide. Does Delco even exist or built batteries anymore? (I haven't looked under the hood of a new GM car in decades). My luck is such that batteries seem to die within a month after their warranty date - almost as if they have a built-in self-destruct function.

Old 11-21-17, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
There is East penn/Dekka also... They make the sams club batteries which I have the deep cycle version for my camper... Duracells..

Old 11-22-17, 09:58 AM

Try calling Interstate directly and ask about warranty. Of course, Interstate is a marketer and has never made a battery, their batteries are made by Johnson Controls. JC also makes Ford Motorcraft, Energizer, Auto Craft, Duralast, most Sears Diehards, most Walmart EverStarts, Toyota OEM batteries and several other brands. I last bought a Duracell battery made by East Penn from Sam's Club and have been very happy with it, it's 2 1/2 years old and I change batteries every 3 years as a preventive measure to being caught out somewhere with a dead battery. One service call to get a jump start costs well over the price of a good battery and besides, I don't want the inconvenience or be forced to buy from a regular retailer in an emergency situation.

Pep Boys now sells Bosch batteries by Exide.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-Pep-Boys.html

Old 11-22-17, 11:11 AM
I just bought two Interstates at Costco for my truck. 42 month full replacement is the new warranty (within a year or so). Warranty only good through Costco. 850 CCA for $92+- apiece, best buy for the money. You can get better Interstate batteries through Interstate directly or at a company that they sell through. I do have one of their company stores not far from me. Not sure of the price but the warranty is up to 36 month full replacement, 96 month prorated on their best grade battery. The problem I have with prorated warranties is that you are locked into that company if you want to exercise that warranty.