removing oil filter

Old 11-01-17, 04:38 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question removing oil filter

2005 Toyota Corolla...I change my own oil. Every time I do I always have the same problem....Which direction to turn the filter to get it off. When I attempt to take if off I am laying on the ground looking up at it. I always use the old saying "lefty loosy, righty tighty". But for some reason that saying gets muddled in my brain once I am on the ground and hand reenactments aren't working either. So, looking up at it do I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise? That might be easier for me. I never did get it off this time...probably just tightened it on more.

Old 11-01-17, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It would be counter-clockwise to remove it.

Old 11-01-17, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Here's a hint. If the bottom surface of the filter can be written on (like a regular Fram or Purolator) use either a wide sharpie or a oil based paint pen (preferred), or even a marking crayon like junkyards use, and draw a curved line and arrow with the correct direction to turn. Mark it "off" or something. Then when you slide under to remove it, it will be staring you in the face.

Old 11-02-17, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As Pete stated, it's always counter clockwise to remove. Maybe it would be less confusing if you got the appropriate size oil filter socket and use a ratchet and it instead of an oil filter wrench.

Old 11-02-17, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Imagine the filter like a screw cap on a bottle or jar. If you get under the car and are confused hold a jar in the same orientation and unscrew the lid.

Old 11-02-17, 05:29 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
As you are looking at the filter it is always counter-clockwise to remove whether it's right-side up, upside-down or sideways.

Old 11-02-17, 05:37 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Draw a clock on a piece of paper & glue it to the end of the oil filter. As the others said, turn it counter clockwise.

Old 11-02-17, 09:39 AM
F
Received 49 Upvotes on 37 Posts
The key to Lefty-Loosy, Righty-Tighty (LL-RT) isn't whether the fastener is facing up or down, it's which way you're looking at it. If it's right-hand threads, LL-RT ALWAYS works, so the only complication is the result of how you're looking at it.

If loosening the fastener (or filter) moves it toward you (or tightening moves it away from you), then LL-RT applies.

The only time LL-RT won't apply (presuming it is right-hand threads) is if tightening the fastener moves it toward you, or loosening it moves it away from you.

Here's a long-winded example.

This was a problem that used to befuddle me when tuning the spokes on a bicycle wheel, which are right-hand threads. To speed the process when they're initially attaching the nipples, wheel builders use a tool called a nipple driver:

It's really just a bent flathead screwdriver with a shaft that spins in the handle. So to install the nipple, driving it onto the spoke, you engage the spoke head and spin the handle clockwise. Righty-Tighty. It wouldn't be as fast but you could use a plain old flat-head screwdriver. Still Righty-Tighty.

The spoke nipple has a slotted head to accept the bit of the nipple driver. However, once the nipple is seated inside the rim, and the inner tube and tire are mounted, the head of the nipple is inaccessible. So once the tire is mounted, to adjust spoke tension you have to apply a spoke wrench to the squared shoulders of the nipple, which will be protruding out of the inner circumference of the rim.

You have to tighten the nipple to add tension to the spoke and from this vantage, tightening the spoke moves the nipple toward you. But as I noted above, LL-RT only applies if tightening the fastener moves it away from you.

In this case the opposite occurs, tightening the spoke moves the nipple toward you, not away from you. So it's the opposite of LL-RT. Counter-clockwise tightens. Clockwise loosens.

It's exactly the same fastener but the difference is whether it's moving toward you (and your tool) or away from you as you tighten it. If you're under the car looking up at the filter, removing the filter means moving it toward you. And if loosening it moves it toward you, Lefty-Loosy, Righty-Tighty applies.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-02-17, 03:02 PM
E
Would have to tape or glue something on the filter as it is black. Or use a light colored paint.

Old 11-02-17, 03:13 PM
E
I actually have and use a filter socket. I bought it from the Toyota dealer. The only problem with it is that it seems to be just a hair too big. It has a tendency to slip with any heavy pressure. I have been putting a rubber band around the filter and then putting the socket on. That always worked until this time. I try not to screw the filter too tight when I put the new ones on. I am thinking that, this time, that I didn't use a long enough extension for my socket wrench, thus not being able to get enough leverage. The filter is in a cramped area as far as getting a tool in.

Old 11-02-17, 03:23 PM
E
Thanks for all of the helpful hints and ideas. They will be put to use. I don't feel too bad about not changing the filter this time. I change my oil about every 3,000 miles which amounted to 2 years worth of driving for me.

Old 11-02-17, 03:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There are different size filters sockets, I have a few that while the same diameter the nubs [or whatever they are called] have a different pattern. Next time you buy a filter you might want to check if your socket fits correctly - you might need a different one. The exterior housing of the oil filter isn't always the same over different brands.

Old 11-04-17, 07:22 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Erika, I know what you talk about. Surprisingly, there is no straight answer as it depends on how you look at the filter. I'd use legs as point of reference. Are your legs under the car? Or out, perpendicular to the radiator? As that changes orientation 180 degrees.
Why would you have legs under? Well, I have lift. So I simply sit under and face engine, which is equivalent to having legs under the car.
Say, you have your car on ramps. That will be your head is under the engine and legs point our. 180 degree switch in point of view.
That said, figure it out once, then take piece of paper, draw arrow on it, and tape it to somewhere close but not hot, with clear packing tape, several layers. Or, buy silver marker and simply mark on filter.
As of wrenches. Do not waste money on cap oil wrenches. They are basically junk, as they spread. Get spider wrench. That NEVER fails.
Like this:

Sears.com

Also, as you can put it on only one way to function, actually mark direction ON the wrench. Easy. That wrench removed the topughest filters for me, even those that been through Quick Lube places, where they for some reason unknown use wrenches to over torque filters on.

Old 11-04-17, 12:21 PM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Would have to tape or glue something on the filter as it is black. Or use a light colored paint.
You could also use a silver sharpie to mark the filter.

Old 11-04-17, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
They also make white oil based paint pens, also Sharpie brand. Available at any walmart, home depot (paint dept) or art store. I use them for marking all sorts of stuff. I have about 9 cheap plastic toolboxes that I put things in I don't normally need. I mark them "plumbing tools", "plumbing parts", "electrical tools", "automotive tools", etc. No opening each one to find what I need.

Old 11-19-17, 03:01 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Removing Oil filters

I own a 2007 Chrysler 300 with the 3.5 litre V6. If any of you are familiar with this engine, you know that the filter access is very limited. i found out early on that since the filters instructions were plain to "tighten one full turn after gasket contacts base", that after 3000 miles, the filter became glued on. The cap style filter sockets that were made to fit the bottom of the filter would generally just turn on the base of the filter, and be no help. I could not access it with a strap wrench at all. I bought a spider wrench (not a Sears) and it liked to destroy the bottom part of the filter and sometimes still wouldn't remove it. especially aftermarket filters. I welded leg extensions on the stubby legs of that wrench which went all the way up the sides of the filter to grip it solidly. I also switched back to Mopar filters and had no more trouble,, either removing them, or removing them without crushing them.

Last edited by WML13; 11-19-17 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-17, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Wrench off filters (with a nut on the end) are nice.

Old 11-20-17, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Not all filters take the same size filter socket, besides having different sizes there are different patterns. Always check the filter wrench fit for the brand of filter you buy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: