08 Vibe/Pontic Wagon does not heat-up sufficiently, although 'Cooling' is OK

Old 12-19-17, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
08 Vibe/Pontic Wagon does not heat-up sufficiently, although 'Cooling' is OK

Hello:
One of my cars, 08 Vibe/Pontic Wagon does not heat-up sufficiently even I put all way to maximum heat. On the otherhand, another car, Matric/Toyota 2011 is warming up almost instantaneously.

Heating issue, I just noticed the other day when I drove making sure Vibe running OK because it was getting really cold, low '30, even lower.

In my recollection, during summer when I drove Vibe, there was no issue at all. Cooling system working really well.

Any thoughts on this issue would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 07:50 AM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
First thing to check is the thermostat, if it goes bad it can take a long time to open so heat will take long time to warm up.

Old 12-19-17, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
Many vehicles circulate hot water thru the heater core before the thermostat opens.

Do you have a gauge..... does it show normal temperature ?
Many vehicles have a hot water valve to allow hot water to flow thru the heater core.
You could check the two small rubber hoses that connect to the heater core to see if they are both hot.

It could also be a heat/cool blend door problem.

Old 12-19-17, 11:31 AM
Received 61 Votes on 56 Posts
Check your coolant level. If low, that can prevent the thermostat from opening, as well as minimize the flow through the hoses. Aside from the obvious, like the switches, blend doors, etc., heating and cooling are two separate systems, so the fact that the air conditioning works is mostly not relevant.

Old 01-04-18, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aka pedro View Post
Check your coolant level. If low, that can prevent the thermostat from opening, as well as minimize the flow through the hoses. Aside from the obvious, like the switches, blend doors, etc., heating and cooling are two separate systems, so the fact that the air conditioning works is mostly not relevant.

Thanks for the responses.
The heater of Vibe started working REALLY good as if nothing happened, AFTER the brand new Anti-Freeze poured into all way of top, even put into too much.

I'm just glad that I do NOT need make a trip to shop which might charge more than $150 for just look at the problem.

Old 01-04-18, 03:26 PM
Received 61 Votes on 56 Posts
That's great, except for one thing; coolant doesn't "just go away", so keep a close eye on it. It could be as simple as a loose clamp or a cracked reservoir, something rather simple like that, but could also be a water pump, head gasket, or something like that, which would obviously be more extensive and require some closer scrutiny before possibly chasing the wrong dog.