Where is the grounding strap on a Honda Civic

Old 01-05-18, 11:34 AM
Where is the grounding strap on a Honda Civic

I need to jump start my 2008 Honda Civic. I bought a NOCO GB40 BOOST + Jump Starter to do it. The instructions say FOR 12V LEAD ACID BATTERIES ONLY. I'm assuming that's what is in there but it doesn't say on the battery.

The cables are very short so the option of attaching the negative cable to something else (an unpainted surface of the engine) is impossible.

The instructions in the car manual have an unhelpful diagram and tell me to 'connect the other end to the grounding strap as shown'. But it doesn't show me anything I recognize after staring at the engine and the diagram for a while. The picture doesn't seem to show the grounding strap in spatial relation to the battery, so I don't know what I'm looking at in the diagram.

I'm assuming the grounding strap is close by the battery, but there are several things in that area that look like they could be the grounding strap. I don't want to attach it to the wrong thing.

So can somebody show me what the grounding strap looks like and where it is exactly?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... your vehicle has a lead acid battery.

If someone has the same exact make and model they could answer your question.
For the rest of us a picture or two would be very helpful. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-06-18, 06:49 AM
go here:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...40+boost&psc=1

look at pic #2.
see where those clamps are connected?

Last edited by PJmax; 01-06-18 at 06:58 AM. Reason: removed un-needed comment
Old 01-06-18, 08:06 AM
Yes, it looks like the black is connected to the Negative terminal. Everything I've read and the videos I've watched say you're not supposed to do that.

EDIT: I just read the NOCO GB40 instructions again. It says to connect the black to the Negative terminal. The writing is really small so I must have missed it earlier. My bad

EDIT2: 1st attempt, connected red clamp to POS, black clamp to the Negative, turned on the GB40, let it charge the battery for around 30 seconds, tried starting the car. Nothing. As per the instructions in the booklet, waited at least 20 seconds to try starting it again. Did that 5 times. Nothing. It says to not attempt more than 5 starts in a 15 minute period.

EDIT3: 2nd attempt, same thing. Nothing. Not even any clicking sound. The NOCO GB40 doesn't work.

Last edited by doublezero; 01-06-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-06-18, 11:54 AM
More Info: Did more reading on the issue. There's a manual override button on the GB40. The manual basically tells you in block letters 'WARNING - DANGEROUS - IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE USING THIS FEATURE, SEEK ASSISTANCE. I read some reviews of the product and the manual override feature. I decided to try it anyway. It works! The car starts now. I take back what I said about this product not working.

Old 01-06-18, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
6. Manual Override Button
To enable, push and hold for three (3) seconds. WARNING: Disables safety protection and manually forces Boost “On”. Only for use when a battery is too low to be detected.

That means your battery was very close to dead. That would indicate that your battery condition needs to be assessed or you could have a charging problem. Jump starting a completely dead battery can be dangerous. That why the warning. Always be sure to shield your eyes when connecting something like that.

Old 01-06-18, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
6. Manual Override Button
To enable, push and hold for three (3) seconds. WARNING: Disables safety protection and manually forces Boost “On”. Only for use when a battery is too low to be detected.

That means your battery was very close to dead. That would indicate that your battery condition needs to be assessed or you could have a charging problem. Jump starting a completely dead battery can be dangerous. That why the warning. Always be sure to shield your eyes when connecting something like that.
I wore welding goggles while doing it. There's a video I watched: https://www.mjlorton.com/portable-ca...l-the-results/

The guy in the video is pretty negative on most of these products and has a lot of warnings.

The battery was dead because I left the overhead light on for at least a day. It might have been 2 days. It's also minus 25 degrees or so outside.

Old 01-06-18, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
It is always better to charge a completely dead battery then to boost one. It worked in your case so your are lucky. However the battery may have been killed due to the cold and complete discharge. You might want to have it tested.

Search this Thread