altima oil change

Old 01-22-18, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
altima oil change

I just changed the oil for the first time on my wife's 2016 nissan altima, 2.5. Never seen such an awkward placement of the oil filter. It's on the front of the engine just in front of the axle next to the inner fender with a splash guard under it. Next time I'll try removing the passenger front tire to see if that gives any more room to work.

Has anyone worked on this engine/configuration and have any tips for making the oil filter change easier?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Apparently, you don't have to remove the tire, but just jack it up and turn it all the way to the right. I'd probably just pull it off, I'm not a flexible as I once was. After that, there appears to be a small access panel held by 5 plastic push rivets. Remove those and pull the panel and you'll have much better access to the filter.

I got my info here...Nissan Altima 2.5L I4 Engine Oil Change & Filter Replacement Guide - 2013, 2014 & 2015 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

Old 01-22-18, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Vic
Wish I had seen that link/instructions before I started. I bet it took me close to 5 minutes just to locate the oil filter ..... and I know I've done oil changes in less time than I spent removing/replacing that filter. I knew there had to be a better way!

Old 01-22-18, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Hey, you should try doing a Kia Soul. I changed her oil a few months back. The filter is accessible only through a snap in cover on the splash pan under the engine. Seems great, til you remove the cover and the filter is offset by about an inch from the opening and it's barely big enough to fit a filter end wrench on. And of course all the dripping oil goes on top of the splash pan, so you have to pack paper towels or rags in to soak it up. All because they didn't center the panel under the filter! WTH???

Old 01-22-18, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you mean, I miss the days of being able to sit on the fender and change the spark plugs on a big block V8.

Old 01-23-18, 06:01 AM
I miss being able to sit on the fender and changing the plugs on an in-line 6

Old 01-27-18, 07:21 AM
99 Rx300 3.0 transverse V6.
Filer is underneath bank 2 exhaust manifold and, from the bottom, covered by crossmmeber, not by removable splash guard. There is 2 finger width space between filter top and radiator. In addition, access from the top is covered by horn harness and AC line. To get filter out you have enough space for filter width and 1.5 finger to hold it. You drop it down onto crossmember - have fun getting it out.
Want easy oil changes - buy Subaru.

Old 01-27-18, 07:33 AM
I've noticed that the GM products now use the cartridge type oil filters that are accessible from the top.

Sure makes the oil changes a lot easier.

Old 02-04-18, 08:13 AM
Cool

I
I have a 2013 Altima and a 2013 Kia Optima. I hate the kia filter hole.
I use alum. foil as an dripping oil guide on both. I just take the wheel off the Altima.
Love those tiny filters though. Side note--I like Kia stealership filters and won't use Nissan stealership filters!! The Nissan's filter media can be town off in pieces easily by thumb/forefinger pinch and pull. I cut open used filters and play. Went with a better wire-backed dual-media filter on Altima this time--will cut it open also.