drain gas tank 92 Accord

Old 01-29-18, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
drain gas tank 92 Accord

Got a '92 Honda Accord that needs a new engine among other things and I plan to be parting it out or otherwise disposing of it. But it has a good amount, maybe at least ten gallons, of some relatively fresh gas still in the tank that I'd like to at least salvage. I'd rather not have to go to the trouble of trying to siphon the gas out and there is indeed a factory drain plug/bolt installed at the bottom of the gas tank that is for draining the gas. It's just a regular six-point hex bolt that could be removed after applying some penetrating oil to help bust the rust and with a socket wrench.

My question/concern because I've never attempted such draining of gas like this from a vehicle, is whether there'd be the risk of my socket causing even the slightest spark while trying to remove the drain bolt while the gas is starting to drip/flow out from the tank as I unscrew/remove the bolt. Any comments in that regard appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-18, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The odds are astronomical of that happening. The tank is grounded to the body, your tool will also be grounded once it touches the outside. Even if it sparked somehow when doing the initial loosening, the fuel will still be in the tank until you loosen it more, just like draining oil.. I doubt you could make a spark if you were trying with just simple hand tools.

Here's my question...how exactly do you plan to catch 10 gal of gas flowing uncontrolled out of the tank?

I'd disconnect a hose from the pump and hook up a battery temporarily, then pump it into suitable containers til no more comes out. You don't want the dregs in the bottom anyway.

Old 01-29-18, 02:43 PM
Thanks Gunguy for the helpful reply.

Yeah I had the same concern, how I might actually be able to catch at least 10 gal of gas flowing uncontrolled out of the tank. I guess I'd plan on getting the car up as good and high (and level) as I could using on jackstands and I do have a heavy-duty large size rectangular plastic tub type container about 7-8 inches deep that probably holds at least 10 gallons (I'd double check first of course), and have that placed under the tank drain hole to catch the gas. Might have to drain several gallons at a time several times then screw the drain bolt back in to stop the flow while I drag the tub out and empty it a few times so the tub doesn't get too heavy to drag out. Maybe I wouldn't necessarily need to completely remove the drain bolt but just unscrew it enough until I begin to get some good flow/drainage then just screw it back in when I need to stop it?

In regard to the other suggestion of disconnecting a hose from the pump, I assume you mean fuel pump? The fuel pump is located in the tank so I'm not sure where exactly I might disconnect a hose to it... from the fuel rail on the engine, or elsewhere, maybe wherever the fuel filter connection is on the fuel supply line? Then if I did disconnect such a hose, then I'd maybe turn on the key until gas flowed out the hose into my suitable container(s)? Is that what you mean by hook up a battery temporarily?

Old 01-29-18, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I know you don't want to siphon but if the filler neck will accept a siphon hose that is the best way. Otherwise disconnect the fuel line and use the fuel pump. I'm not sure I'd be too confident with catching that much fuel if the drain plug is removed.

Old 01-29-18, 05:09 PM
Received 171 Votes on 159 Posts
Siphoning the gas is so much easier all you need is 4' of cheap clear PVC hose and best of all it will drain right into your gas can!

Old 01-31-18, 07:21 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Vic meant - astronomically LOW.

Old 02-11-18, 06:15 PM
I'd disconnect a hose from the pump and hook up a battery temporarily, then pump it into suitable containers til no more comes out.
I ended up basically following what Vic suggested and it worked pretty darn good. I unattached the fuel hose connected to fuel pressure regulator there on the fuel rail, and then connected a 4' clear PVC hose/tubing from the nipple on that regulator down into a 5-gal gas jug. I then jumpered the fuel pump relay (using a paper clip in the plug terminals) and turned the ignition to the "on" position. This utilized the car battery to power the fuel pump and all the gas steadily and gradually was pumped out from my cars fuel tank to my gas jug. I could sit and watch the the gas gauge needle on the dash go down all the way to empty.

Old 02-12-18, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Thanks for the update - glad you didn't just pull the drain plug!