Honda Fit making noise after completing turns

Old 02-09-18, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Honda Fit making noise after completing turns

I have a 2013 Honda Fit with an automatic transmission and about 26,000 miles on it. For about three months now, it has been periodically making a noise which lasts for about one second. I first started hearing it after making right or left turns. I only hear it when making big turns through intersections on main roads, not when turning on streets in residential neighborhoods. I hear it almost every time I drive the car, but usually only once or twice during any trip. I make almost exclusively short trips with it. Mostly I drive it to work which is less than 7 miles one way.

The noise only lasts for about one second. For the first several months, I was only hearing it immediately after having completed the turn and straightened out the wheels. Now that several months have passed, I am sometimes hearing the noise while I am actually making the turn rather than after completing the turn. Also, I am now sometimes hearing it while driving straight down the road without having just recently made a turn.

I think the noise is coming somewhere from the front half of the car. It's a relatively quiet sound and I'm not sure how to describe it. Possibly it sounds like a small gust of wind blowing underneath the car or the sound of water splashing up under the car after driving through a small puddle.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-18, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
Have you had anyone else ride in the car to see if they can hear the noise? If not maybe get a car knowledgeable friend or mechanic to ride along while you drive. You focus on safely driving and they can focus on listening to the sound and track down it's location.

Old 02-09-18, 05:21 PM
Received 76 Votes on 70 Posts
Could be any number of things. Wheel bearings, CV joint, brakes, power steering. Either you wait until it becomes more obvious and continuous or bring it to a qualified dealer mechanic to find it right now.

Old 02-09-18, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your input Pilot Dane and Norm201. I think I'll take it in to the Honda dealer this coming week before the problem gets worse. I'm going to try to get a recording of the sound first though.

Old 02-14-18, 10:39 AM
I took my car to the repair shop at the Honda dealer yesterday and they checked the cv boots, suspension, rack and pinion, and didn't see any problems. The technician took it out for a test drive and didn't hear anything unusual. He went on a second test drive and I went along and did the driving and still no noise. The noise is easy to miss because it's very short in duration and not very loud. It is barely noticeable if you're not paying attention. Before going to the dealer, I tried to get a recording of it using a utility on my phone but was unsuccessful.

Is it possible that the cv joint could be damaged without the boot being torn?

Old 02-14-18, 06:44 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Nope. Not possible.
1. everything moves in a vehicle during turns. Engine, transmission, fluids, doors. You might as well hear slight wind gasp if door weatherstrip loosens somewhat. Or, you can hear coolant slosh in all the lines coolant goes through. Will definitely be a subtle sound.
2. Easy fix. Music a bit louder.

Old 02-15-18, 05:09 AM
Received 76 Votes on 70 Posts
Sometimes you may have "let it go" for an item to show if is beginning to wear out or near breakdown point or end of life. Failure can sometime be very subtle.

Old 02-16-18, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. "Music louder" and "letting it go "sounds like the proper route to take.

Old 02-16-18, 11:12 AM
Just the "FWIW" dept.

When I haven't serviced the front brakes recently, and the slider pins get a little sticky & binding, the first thing I begin to notice is a slight dragging of the brake(s) which is most evident when I turn a corner (slight deflection of the rotor(s))

If you have drum rear brakes then that would account for the noise from the front....

How long has it been since the front caliper pins were removed and cleaned/lubricated ??

Old 02-19-18, 07:20 PM
2granddaughters
Just the "FWIW" dept.

When I haven't serviced the front brakes recently, and the slider pins get a little sticky & binding, the first thing I begin to notice is a slight dragging of the brake(s) which is most evident when I turn a corner (slight deflection of the rotor(s))

If you have drum rear brakes then that would account for the noise from the front....

How long has it been since the front caliper pins were removed and cleaned/lubricated ??

I bought the car new in February 2014, and it has 26,500 miles on it. I imagine the caliper pins have never been cleaned and lubricated. I didn't know that this type of maintenance is performed.

Old 02-20-18, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sound of wind or water puddle is tough to tell what it might be and only a second or two? At about what speed?

Wheel bearings can easily be diagnosed by driving and swerving left and right at low speed (10-20 mph). Make sure you do it in an empty parking lot. If you have a bad bearing you will hear a distinct rumble on the turns and noise stops when you go straight.

CV joint would normally be clicking as you turn.

Old 02-25-18, 04:55 AM
Sound of wind or water puddle is tough to tell what it might be and only a second or two? At about what speed?

Wheel bearings can easily be diagnosed by driving and swerving left and right at low speed (10-20 mph). Make sure you do it in an empty parking lot. If you have a bad bearing you will hear a distinct rumble on the turns and noise stops when you go straight.

CV joint would normally be clicking as you turn.
Thanks for your input.

It turned out that the wheel bearing test didn't result in a rumble.

I'm hearing the noise at different speeds and both while going straight down the road and after having just completed a turn. Once in a while I hear it while in the act of turning.

It's a real puzzle.

Old 02-25-18, 05:23 AM
Did you have the caliper slider pins cleaned & lubed?