'07 elantra 2.0L won't start

Old 02-17-18, 06:23 PM
'07 elantra 2.0L won't start

I found fault codes using my reader; Cam position sensor and o2 sensor (didn't indicate which one) replaced both, cleared codes. It still won't start, reader shows no fault codes probably have to drive it to get fault codes. I've had this issue before with same fault codes, replaced both and car started right up check engine light went out it drove fine. The only major problem I've had is a stripped timing belt and as you can guess had bent valves.installed rebuilt head and cleaned everything (beforehand) injectors, rail, replaced a few things while head out, (OCV) CVVT Oil Control Valve.<br />
If anyone has had a similar experience I would like to read the solution.<br />
My car gets great milage ~31mpg so I can't complain there.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-18, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Usually when I see unrelated codes logged like that it tells me there is a problem with the 5v supply line. Many of the sensors rely on a 5vdc supply. I would unplug the CPS and carefully measure with a voltmeter from the pins to ground with the key in "ignition on". If there is no voltage.... you've identified a problem.

Old 02-21-18, 02:03 PM
Thank You Pete, is the 5vdc supply inside the main computer or external, if external a 5vdc supply should easy enough to replace. I'll look at wiring diag to find out, I miss having own transport.

Mike

Old 02-22-18, 02:16 AM
the 5 volt supply is internal to the pcm but I really don't see the relation to the o2 sensor circuit witch would not need a 5 volt supply would probably concentrate on the cam position sensor code for now, a flow chart for the code should help you determine what is wrong with the circuit if anything, how long has it been since the timing belt and valves was replaced?

Old 02-25-18, 08:21 PM
Full update.
Installed rebuilt head less than 1 year ago, along with full timing belt kit w/water pump, my car ran great. The CPS is getting voltage; 12v on one pin, ~5v on another and .02v on third pin ( may be ground?). There is no voltage on clutch cutout switch, the one at end of travel. I'm really hoping it's not the pcm, before this episode of not starting the temp gauge would go berserk pegging out, fluctuating then back to normal if I turned the car w/ignition on gauge read normal. And the alt and seat belt light would flicker on/off at random. The only faults shown on reader were cps and o2 sens.