One for the gear heads

Old 03-17-18, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
One for the gear heads

So, last week I found out what the life expectancy is for the power steering gearbox on my tow truck (Chevy W-4, but Isuzu NPR under the badge): 715,750 miles give or take.

Interesting failure, the little plastic ring that separators/spaces the individual ball bearings in the upper (input shaft) end failed by loosing all its teeth basically (likely not all at once, but over time) and one of the pieces lodged in the fluid outlet. No place to go for the fluid and the path of least resistance was the input shaft seal. Didn't know that was what it was until installing a replacement seal and immediately blowing that one out, rather spectacularly I might add.

SO, any of you wrench-turners ever see this? More than one experienced mechanic I've spoken to had never seen that; of course they also admitted they rarely work on a vehicle with my kind of mileage on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-18, 05:35 PM
Chevy with 716 000 miles on it? No, have not seen it.

Old 03-17-18, 06:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not a mechanic by trade, nor do I do much mechanic work anymore, but I've worked on vehicles since I was a teenager in the 70's, prior to trade school in the late 70's. I haven't seen this before. Sorry I cant be of more help......

Old 03-17-18, 06:43 PM
haven't seen it either but often gear boxes get replaced due to play in the steering way before they get that many miles on them.

Old 03-17-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
That was pretty much the consensus. My tow buddy keeps reminding me, whenever I'm troubleshooting gremlins, that I've entered unexplored territory.