Codes P 1110 and P 0420 ..... 2001 Nissan Sentra

Old 04-07-18, 09:21 PM
Question Codes P 1110 and P 0420 ..... 2001 Nissan Sentra

I recently took my car for an oil change and since my Check Engine light had come on the night before for the first time ever, I asked the guy to hook it up to one of those little machines to get an error code. He did say their machines were fairly basic and that I shd also take it to a proper car repair place for them to check for codes. Anyhow they said 2 codes came up:

P 1110 - Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid, and

P 0420 - Catalyst System efficiency below threshold.

Do these two things need to necessarily even be fixed? And if so, are they an easy fix? I'm wondering what Canadian Tire (or ?) might charge to do the repairs. Since the car is a 2001 Sentra, I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile or not...

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Marie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-18, 05:56 AM
The valve timing affects a lot of the performance in an engine. That solenoid looks like about a $100 part in the US. I don't know if that is a DIY job or what it would cost in a shop.

It could very well affect the emissions triggering the second code. So fixing the valve solenoid may fix the catalyst code as well.

With the code in hand you could probably get a good estimate of the fix over the phone for the valve solenoid.

Old 04-08-18, 06:07 AM
And P0420 means that the difference between the readings from the upstream oxygen sensor and the downstream oxygen sensor indicates excessive hydrocarbons remaining in the emissions AFTER the Catalytic Converter has performed its function.

Maybe after the first problem is addressed, the 2nd problem will be automatically fixed . . . . otherwise, your Check Engine Light will probably trigger an emissions test failure.

Old 04-08-18, 07:45 AM
would also look into repairing 1110 first if you still have 0420 after repair while it will have a check engine light it will not effect engine or vehicle drivability so it really depends on your local inspection or emission testing done if any, but you may have to repair it also to pass those requirements.

Old 04-08-18, 07:28 PM
the p1110 could be caused by bad oil. it uses oil pressure to operate. so if it gets low or too old it will not perform properly. for the p0420. try driving it harder and useing one type of gas station(stick to "top tier"). at my job we call p0420 the grandma code. and unless the converter is coming apart a good cleaning will help.

Old 04-09-18, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by iceman681
". . . unless the converter is coming apart a good cleaning will help . . ."
My Volvo S60 now has 294,000 miles on it and I've been experiencing periodic P0420 Codes for the past 150,000 miles or so.

When the P0420 appears, I clean the Catalytic Converter by burning a gallon of Lacquer Thinner mixed in 5 gallons of gas and drive a hundred miles at highway speeds to clear it . . . . somewhat unorthodox; but it's been working for about 10 years.

The OP just got an Oil Change; but prior to that, there could have been residual oil being burned and sent out the exhaust to coat the surfaces of the catalyst and compromise its effectiveness.

Old 05-02-18, 10:47 AM
You did not say how many miles you had on this vehicle, also if the car burns oil. I would definitely fix the P1110 code first and see if that clears the P0420 code. If your car burns oil at 1 quart per 1,000 or 2,000 miles that is going to create issues for the Catalytic converter. If you have over 160k kilometers and you have not changed the spark-plugs that can cause issues with P0420 codes as well. First clear the P1100 issue, then if the P0420 code does not clear I would make sure it was not burning oil and the spark-plugs have been change, and I would change the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter before I thought about changing the Catalytic converter,.