Care to guess where this leak is coming from?

Old 04-29-18, 02:06 PM
Care to guess where this leak is coming from?

I noticed that there is some wet oil under my vehicle, my dip shows kind of low oil.

It is not anywhere near the filter, appears to be coming from the area where the rubber boot goes into the main core of the vehicle ... better to look at pic.

Any ideas where in that vicinity it would be coming from? From above the motor everything looks good .. just underneath in this one area.

thanks for any info

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-18, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
That looks like a CV boot. That would be a drive component. The oil wouldn't be from that.

Oil leaks are very difficult to find and would require guess work on out part. It usually requires a bright flashlight and laying down under the car to find it. Even then it's not always visible.

Old 04-29-18, 02:29 PM
The CV boot is just to the right, then there is a clamp and then a black looking component that goes into the main body?

I do have to bring it in on Wednesday for a recall but curiousity got the best of me.

Old 04-29-18, 02:46 PM
J agree it appears to be an axle going into a transmission. There is an oil seal at this location that could be leaking transmission fluid, not engine oil. If your car has a transmission oil dipstick, you can check the oil level that way. IF not you may have to remove a threaded plug somewhere on the transmission to check the oil level. Your owners manuals should specify the method.

Old 04-29-18, 03:46 PM
What kind of critter are we looking at ?? (make/year/model/engine)

Old 04-29-18, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
I believe a 2011 or 2012 Ford Escape.

Old 04-29-18, 04:19 PM
Thanks for that. Took the 2012 Ford Escape V6 for a drive to warm it up and then checked ... my transmission fluid is on the low side ... automatic transmission, 60000 miles on it (they say replace at 150000 miles). I dabbed the stick with a nappy and then dapped the fluid leak and they match in color and consistency so .. I think you may be right ..

So ... what does a new seal entail if it turns out to be that?

Last edited by Mizzfixit2; 04-29-18 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add to
Old 04-29-18, 07:31 PM
there is what is called a TSB on this. the bushing in the trans has gone bad tearing up the seal and the axle. all three will need to be replaced. Not a recall. not free. just a very common issue.

Old 04-30-18, 11:27 AM
Must not be leaking much or just started, the case is still pretty clean!

Old 05-01-18, 09:20 PM
The easiest way I've found leaks is to dry off the first leaking area, run the car to produce the leak, then trace up to the next area, dry it off, and keep working up to where you see fluid actually exiting

Old 05-15-18, 08:01 AM
Found out it is a leak from the the transaxle seal. There is indeed a TSB on this for this vehicle. There is a fault with the bushing, it damages CV joint and seal so you need to replace all of it .. Ford has a lovely kit avalable because they have had this problem for YEARS. Cost to fix at Ford Dealer .. $661 US dollars. Ford sucks.