Would you consider this acceptable preventative maintenance on brakes?

Old 04-29-18, 02:26 PM
Would you consider this acceptable preventative maintenance on brakes?

I have a 6 year old Ford Escape. I have been taking it in for The Works .. oil change, brake inspection, tire rotation and whatever else the Works supposedly checks.

I am not hard on my brakes, don't ride etc ... have not changed them out yet but seen the shape of the discs today and wonder why the problem would not have been corrected long ago? Wouldn't a disc like this - if inspected say "hey, problem with the caliper or pad or whatever?" Even though I am not complaining about my brakes, shouldn't they ensure that the pads and discs are operating properly?

I remember when I had my mazda I was unaware of problems with the discs, it was still under warranty and they pulled them and ground them because apparently they were getting grooves in them.

Is this typical Ford preventative maintenance? Just curious how others would view this....

thanks ..... the disc is rusted, shiny then rusted again.. see photo

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-18, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It depends on the condition of the pads. If the pads look good than the color of rotor has little concern. I can't see the pads to tell anything.

Old 04-29-18, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
It depends on how wide the pads are in relation to the width of the discs, but you'll always have rusty in the center near the hub, shiny where the pads touch, rust again around the outside. If the one on the other side looks the same, then I would have to assume it has very small pads in relation to the rotors.

Believe me...no dealer is going to pass up the chance to sell you a brake job.

Old 04-29-18, 03:27 PM
You have not described the problem if any. New rotors and pads start to wear the first time you use them. Pads are normally replaced when the pad material thickness is 1/16 inch and/or the wear indicator on the pad is contacting the rotor making a scraping sound. Rotors are normally replaced when machining to minimum thickness does not remove grooves or a warp. Rust on the rotor below and above the pad material is normal due to the shape of the material on the pad and its contact with the rotor.

Old 04-29-18, 04:13 PM
Looks to me like the face of the pad isn't making full contact with the rotor, for some reason . . . . like the caliper piston isn't applying pressure evenly, and you're not getting the full benefit of the stopping power that should be occuring at that wheel.

I'd check the other wheels. You'd like all four wheels to be providing equal stopping power (well, at least equal on each axle) and wear like that shown in your picture could lead to the danger of a pull to one side in an emergency.

Old 04-29-18, 04:23 PM
Reply to pugsl

Yes the pads are okay, the one is twice as thick as the other. It was the fact that there is little pad contact with the disc, the rusted areas are actually chipping off the disc ... where the shiny part is.. it is a indentation in the pad.

Old 04-29-18, 04:39 PM
to Vermont

That is exactly what is happening with the wear. The other side of this disc is shiny clean, the brake pad on that side has made contact with the full width... like it should. The inside is basically got a shiny groove down the middle .. so the pad is only contacting 1/3 of the rotor, the rusted areas have chunks of rust coming off. The other tire is similar on the inside just not as bad ... the back has drum brakes.

I guess I thought that bringing a vehicle in for brake inspection would help keep them in good shape. I have had it to 3 Ford dealers for oil change/tire rotation/brake inspection and none of them said boo. Personally, I don't think the rotors should look like this.

I was just curious what others thought ... based on this though, I know Ford won't be doing my brake job when the time comes.

Old 04-29-18, 07:25 PM
the only preventable way to stop this from happening is to wear them out before the rust takes hold. rotors are being made to be "softer" for noise control, but makes them rust quicker. too hard on the brakes make them warp, too soft they rust.

Old 04-30-18, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If one pad is twice as thick on the same wheel you ave a sticking caliper.Be sure to mention this to service writer as this could be easily over looked.
PS I was a brake mechanic for many years.

Old 04-30-18, 05:28 AM
How long has it been since the caliper slider pins were lubricated?

Old 04-30-18, 05:47 AM
would probably get overlooked at a lot of places especially since its the inboard side typical brake inspection would be to check pad thickness for the most part and recommend brake service when the pads are close to being worn out, would also suspect caliper is not able to float due to slide pins sticking which is a fairly common problem.

Old 04-30-18, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Mizzfixit, I'm with you on this one. No way should that have been missed.

From the Ford website:

THE WORKS

• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
• Brake Inspection
• Vehicle Checkup
• Fluid Top-Off
• Battery Test
• Filter Check
• Belts and Hoses Check

A professional brake inspection would included inspecting pads, rotors, calipers, and hoses.
Might consider going back to the last one and asking pointed questions with the service manager [skip the service writers and assistants].

Old 04-30-18, 06:22 AM
If these are Ford Dealerships who are missing the irregular rotor wear pattern, the vehicle must have fallen off Warranty, because most shops I've been in have been quite prompt in taking advantage of every opportunity to make a buck . . . . but if it's now beyond the Warranty period, you'd think they'd try to scare the Owner into getting a complete brake job for safety reasons.

Just dealing with a stuck caliper piston probably doesn't generate much revenue; but it sure can provide some good PR and Customer Satisfaction.

I don't understand the motivation of the people involved !

Old 04-30-18, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking it's dry sticking slider pin(s), not a piston.

On the other hand it may be BOTH.

Old 04-30-18, 05:33 PM
To answer your question...NO that is not acceptable preventative maintenance of brakes. That pad is not making adequate contact with the disc, it should sweep and shine more of the width of the disc. The rust tells me that this has been the case for some time, and the car is probably stored outside?

While you don't ride the brakes and use them hard, that may be part of the problem, in that little use means the caliper pins and the caliper pieces that slide a small amount the when the caliper opens and closes are not getting their exercise. In a safe situation, do a hard brake once a month or so, to keep things moving and sliding as intended.

Have the caliper pins greased (should be part of a proper brake inspection service), and have a dab of antiseize put on the caliper sliding parts, and you will probably be ok. The caliper piston might be stuck, but the pins are much more common. The disc might benefit from skimming to get a fresh surface.

The fact is you are relying on the garage to keep you safe. The brake inspection on this car was not thorough, and that is disappointing as it is important to be confident in the job a tech does. But in the real world, things can get sloppy, or someone is in a rush, and absent brake complaints the attention may have lacked for whatever reason.

But now that you are on it, point out with some confidence that you want things thoroughly looked at. They should give you some discount for missing something like this in past inspections, but you need a good service advisor at the place to not worry about blame and just treat you fairly and make sure the job is thorough this go round.

You sound like you will need new pads, and should skim the rotors or more likely just get new rotors, 6 years of rotor service isn't that bad. And of course confirm the calipers just need cleaning and lubrication. Brakes are important.

Centric makes some premium discs that use a better iron alloy, and tend to be more corrosion resistant (some have a special coating as well). Might spec that with the dealer, Centric is a major supplier to the trade. Or at least make sure they use Ford OEM rotors, not some Chinese low price stuff that increases a dealer margin. Off warranty, who knows what they use. Example here,

https://www.amazon.ca/Centric-Parts-...ype=automotive

Old 05-01-18, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To clarify what I said easily overlooked on a tire rotation or oil change you would look at what is seen, usually outside pad. On a complete inspection we measured rotors and pads inside and out. A complete inspection takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.

Old 05-01-18, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
But it would be up on the rack at some point. Should have been fairly visible to the trained eye.

Old 05-21-18, 09:42 AM
If they look at pad thickness and see the inner is double the outer you would think a person with a brain in their head would go .. huh, maybe I should look at this a bit more?? I am supposed to be doing a brake inspection here!!

Anyhow, had vehicle in for a recall and the lovely Works. I asked about the rotors and was told "oh, that is normal wear" "the pads are shaped in a way so they don't make full contact with the rotor" .... this was the service guy talking.

Whatever, .. one gets sick of the BS.

I will keep Centric in mind thanks.

Old 05-22-18, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Was this a service writer or an actual mechanic? Lots of people mistake the service writer for someone with actual automotive service experience.

Old 05-22-18, 11:47 AM
Brake Pads

Nothing unusual about Ford Escape brake pads. They will sweep the entire disk surface. This is a 2011 Escape...

I think you might need to find a more responsible garage. Try an independent, there is nothing specialized about the Escape that requires dealer involvement.

Attached Images