98 Nissan Pathfinder Brake info needed

Old 05-09-18, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
98 Nissan Pathfinder Brake info needed

Original rotors with 193K on the body. Yes hard to believe but I am the original owner and nobody has touched the brakes except me. I pulled front passenger side last night and put a digital micrometer. Max thickness supposed to be 28mm and min is 26mm. I measured the daylights out of it and its 27.x every place I measured. I am not able to measure runout as I dont have the correct tool I see in videos. Can anyone suggest how to measure runout?

I am wondering if I need to replace my pads or if my pads may show some issue with the rotors. I am having hard time believing half of the rotor life is still left at 193K. I bought ceramics from autozone some years ago. They looks fairly thick still, min thickness is 10.x. Nobody seems to know what the original thickness should be. They are duralast gold ceramics. Hoping someone may know this? They are cracked in some places so not sure this matters?

Also posting some images of the pads. Hoping to get some feedback. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-18, 08:58 AM
What was the brake problem that you were experiencing ?

Old 05-09-18, 10:28 AM
No problem with the brakes. I mentioned to a mechanic I had original rotors at 193K and his eyes bugged out of his head. I figured I should check them... While apart I see the pads and wondered about replacing while I had it apart. I ordinarily would put back together and call it a day but this vehicle has high miles and seems I should take a bit more care now.

Old 05-09-18, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Do your brakes pulsate? if not than don't worry about rotors. I did brakes for more than 30 years.and would never worry about rotors it proper thickness and did not pulsate. I would not even turn your rotors if braking is smooth.
Can't see thickness of pads but just look like heat cracks, nothing to worry about. Just saw the pictures on bottom. Caliper used that will tell you nothing use the other end and just measure the pad. Easier to do while still on car. I would replace pads because they are out if still on car wouldn't worry about them for next 10000 miles.

Old 05-09-18, 12:12 PM
Before you put it back together I'd check the Rotor to see if you have the beginnings of a rust ridge around the inner circumference of where the Pad contacts the Rotor.

I mention this because of the minor cut that appears at the bottom of one of your Pads.

I recently had a pulsation problem and concluded that a Rotor had warped when rally, all it was was this partial rusty iron ridge which was interfering with the smooth rotation of the Rotor.

When I showed it to an old brake man, he demonstrated how a few smacks with a Ball Peen Hammer could quickly dispatch that ridge and eliminate the source of the pulsation.

Old 05-09-18, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all responses. I think I am in good shape for some time to come. I will check the rotor a bit more for a rust ridge or any very noticeable issues. I am not getting a pulsation when braking.

Old 05-09-18, 01:50 PM
Is that truck used during New York Winters ?

Old 05-12-18, 05:45 PM
Yes, NY winters. I was able to remove the hub and pull the rotors. There were six nuts that were on the end of studs on the hub, not the wheel lugs. When I tried to remove the nuts, two studs unscrewed and came out. A third was actually in half. I removed half and the other half is in the hub still. I plan to drill out. My question is how to reinstall these studs. I donít quite know why they came out. Also.. the main reason I removed all this was due to what I thought was the bearing gone bad. There was play in the tire, suggesting to me the bearings were gone. Now Iím thinking the broken stud and loose studs may have caused the play. Does this seems plausible?

Also I will clean the bearings and look to see if they are bad. What am I looking for? Can I spray with penetrating oil or is there a better product? Image of what I am talking about is below.

Attached Images