2003 Honda Element/I had a newer engine installed with many electrical problems!

Old 05-19-18, 01:16 PM
Smile 2003 Honda Element/I had a newer engine installed with many electrical problems!

Hi:

I just bought a 2003 Honda Element and had a much newer engine installed in it and now my windows don't work, my air conditioning doesn't work and my headlight switches are all turned around!

Before I take it back to the shop and have anyone tell me that I need a new window switch and a new air conditioning system and a headlight wiring overhaul, I'd like to make sure that the connections are all OK, or not, as the case may be!

First, is this a big job to check all of this? And second, where do I start?

Any information would be helpful at this point!

Thanks!

Suessy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-18, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Were those working before the engine replacement ?
If you aren't sure then you can't hold the engine replacement people liable for them.

If you had a lot of things not working I'd check the main connectors at the fusebox but the problems you are having are not really connected. I could see them causing a problem with the A/C. Actually they should have checked the A/C. That they could be responsible for.

Not sure how you turn a headlight switch around but that has nothing to do with under the hood.

Old 05-19-18, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Some things you are mentioning really have no connection to the engine. Windows and lights can work with the engine removed from the vehicle in most cases. Might have to jumper a few things to do it, but they aren't connected to the engine proper. A/C, yes, dependent on engine to run compressor and produce hot or cold...but not to run fan.

Old 05-20-18, 12:13 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, everything was working before. I just didn't notice the windows because it was cold and I didn't try to put them down. And now that it is getting warmer, I tried them they didn't work and I thought that I'd have time to fix them myself because I knew I had air conditioning at least. But no ... no I don't.

And my lights were actually working for a while, or at least I thought they were? I noticed at a shopping center window that my headlights weren't on at night, only the little side lights and so I tried a couple of other settings and I found out that now they work on the wrong switch setting!

The story began when I originally had to take the Element back a couple of weeks after they installed the engine because I kept on having to boost it and they said it was the battery. But nope! I bought a new battery and it still had starting problems and so I took it back and lo and behold the car started up every time so they fixed something but these other things weren't working.

So now I want to make sure that what they say it is and what I know it is are the same thing!

What can they have done that I can check? I just figured if I checked what on earth the mechanic hooked the wiring up to I have a chance to find out what is actually wrong!

I know that I have to get a repair manual but they are actually hard to find online without paying a fortune!

Suessy

Old 05-24-18, 01:23 PM
To be honest, during engine swap, it is very easy to fry something electronic. Considering the extensive amount of electronics go crazy, and ECM comes to mind, as it, ultimately, controls much of everything in modern cars.
Also, I am not sure I like the sound of "much newer engine". ECM and engine are to be compatible to work together. So is transmission and ECM. Well, TCM but ECM controls TCM anyway. That said - who knows? Maybe ECM does not like new engine and shows its despise this way?

Old 05-26-18, 09:59 AM
Thanks, ukrbyk!

I will check all of the connections and I will read up on the ECM, and the TCM!

OK, so I had to look up what TCM meant!

If I end up actually being able to fix something myself, I'll let you know!

Suessy

Old 05-28-18, 08:49 AM
I wonder - why was the engine replaced? I think it's the 2.4L with the timing chain which has a very good reputation. At some point I may purchase a Honda around the year of your Element as a secondary vehicle.

Old 05-28-18, 01:06 PM
The story unwinds as follows!

The engine was cutting to a lower rev when I was trying to go into a higher gear and the engine was replaced because this shop said it needed to be replaced. I think it just needed a solenoid gasket or the solenoid assembly changed because I was getting a P2646 code reading but it was a problem I hadn't encountered before with my Civic which doesn't have a VTEC engine and I couldn't see where the part was located because it is apparently hidden in the back and down under some of the rest of the engine. I decided that maybe it was a good idea seeing that it was an older car and I had no idea of its history and I chose the newer engine myself from JDM Motors. I don't have a garage I can put my cars in to work on them!

Then about 2-3 weeks after the newer engine was put it the car started stalling out and not starting at all and I took it back and they re-hooked up maybe the starter? And then a short while later the car started the same first big problem of cutting out in a higher gear and bingo, I needed the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid Valve Assembly changed because the shop was getting a P2646 code reading! So I bought the part and they changed it, and that's when all the new electrical problems started up.

Now the other thing that made me want to actually just replace the engine was that the person I bought the car from said that he had replaced the engine recently but I would have to keep on topping up the oil every 2-3 weeks which actually turned out to be the case. So I opted for the quick solution of just buying a new engine so I wouldn't have to at least worry about the engine any more. The engine is wonderful but I just don't want to pay any more money to these people for things that indeed may be their mistakes so I am just trying to inform myself as much as possible so that I know what I am talking about if I decide to go back and complain about their work!

Anyway, Elements are super practical and I really like mine but I am just working out the bugs that no one caught before I owned it!

Good luck, Steve!

Old 05-28-18, 03:06 PM
Keep in mind, I do not think you quite understood when I mentioned compatibility between engine and ECM Engine Control Module. TCM is Transmission Control.
When car is made, ECM and engine are mated together at the factory. Programming and such. Not every swap works after, as ECM will only work with engine that it will recognize as such, that it is designed to work with. This is known issue with GM swaps as they have so many options and went lengths and lengths to ensure that only "mated" components work together as they should.

Old 06-07-18, 10:33 AM
Thanks, ukrbyk! I am going to inform myself as much as possible before I undo anything in the engine!

Suessy