help with a code

Old 05-26-18, 04:59 AM
help with a code

I got a check engine light on and went to the local garage. he checked the codes and it came up with p06dc or po6dc. it says engine oil pressure control solenoid valve control circuit. does anyone have a better idea of what that is? have been checking the internet and can't find any really basic answers. the mechanic that did the testing showed me a box and said this was the part and part and install was about 225. but I do a lot of my own work and this car is new to me, so don't know what I am looking at. the car is a 2014 chevy malibu 50k miles 2.0 turbo engine

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-18, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Car make/model?

Old 05-26-18, 06:27 AM
Tow_Guy:
the car is a 2014 chevy malibu 50k miles 2.0 turbo engine

Old 05-26-18, 09:09 AM
This link may help you get a little closer to a solution:

http://enginedtc.com/p06dc-chevrolet-malibu

PS: The written explanation of the Malibu's Diagnostic System certainly implies that it was more difficult to navigate than that of most other vehicles.

Last edited by Vermont; 05-26-18 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added Post Script
Old 05-26-18, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Did you read that information at that link.....it's almost useless. It confused me.

The actual code definition is...
Engine Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Control Circuit High Voltage

That can be caused by a defective (open) solenoid but it can also be caused by a wiring problem. Many mechanics will just automatically assume the unit is bad.

There is a diagnostic routine that should be performed first.

Old 05-26-18, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, missed the make/model earlier, needed more caffeine on a Saturday morning.

Old 05-26-18, 11:10 AM
so is the solenoid the oil sending unit or is it something else? I am not familiar with some of this late model stuff. can you find a part no at advance auto or orielly. sorry for the bother, but am having a hard time understanding what it is they are. thanks

Old 05-26-18, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
No.... it's not the oil sender unit.

It's the solenoid that controls the flow of oil to the camshaft.
It should be called the Engine Oil Pressure Control Solenoid

Old 05-28-18, 05:35 AM
P06dc

This is not the vvt solenoids which there are 2 of one for intake and one for exhaust. Also heard called oil pump flow control valve. 2 wire have to remove cat and also a solenoid heat shield. Ground side switched power feed from pcm relay I believe that feeds from a fuse underhood fuse box. Pcm controls the ground. Labor dropping cat and then solenoid heat shield then testing power feed to solenoid and then scoping control wire to pcm to check for control with bi directional control scan tool Could ohm solenoid coil for opens and shorts but ohm tests can test good and no movement from solenoid. I found that out before. Could just take a chance and change out not expensive. I would get oe
​​​​​​

Old 05-28-18, 05:57 AM
P06dc

Wanted to add . . If ohm coil and shows ol on highest resistance scale coil is open and needs replaced gm part number is . ... 12670746....gm parts giant has oe for 38.04.....Google number or try local gm dealer for price comparison After market also available at local parts stores but pay little more for oe is better if you can afford it. I can send you replacement and components location if you need Just let me know Joe I think book value for replacement is 1 hour flat rate ... Not including diagnostics for 1 hour.

Last edited by autojoe; 05-28-18 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 05-28-18, 07:20 AM
so is this part bolted into the motor or the exhaust system? you said to drop shield and then cat.

Old 05-28-18, 08:29 AM
P06dc

Motor. Have to remove cat then there are 3 bolts for solenoid heat shield ... Then 2 bolts 1 for electrical connector and 1 for the solenoid removal I have never replaced one.....If you email me I can send you a diagram of parts and procedures Maybe there is a short cut method of removal ... I don't know Never replaced one

Old 06-01-18, 08:21 AM
P06dc

I sent you location and replacement procedures. Post back results. If you need to know component testing let me know ....

Old 06-05-18, 03:45 AM
got it fixed thanks to you guys. didn't know where the part was or even what it was. so thanks again for all the help and patience.

frank