04 Sorento power steering problems

Old 06-17-18, 11:18 AM
04 Sorento power steering problems

Hello all, our cousin has a 2004 Kia Sorento ex. they recently had the power steering pump changed thinking it was dead. the steering felt better for a few weeks after the change but now is back to the same problem.
very tight steering, feels like no pump assist. do not hear any kind of power steering whine, cant hear any kind of grinding from r&p. and do not notice any belt noises either while turning ,or while at full turn.
What I've done so far..
jacked it up, took the cap off, engine off, cranked wheel full turns left and right several times, did not notice any air pushing into reservoir. Also can hear air pushing out from under the reservoir cap at full turn when fluid is rising with engine off, cant tell if its doin so with engine running.

did notice, both with cap on , or off, fluid level does rise and fall a bit while turning the wheel, this happens both with engine on or off. do not know if this is normal.

I first did this stuff a few weeks ago, and also hit the steering column u-joint with pressure washer, and have then hit it up with some WD, and other penetrating lube. I then also added some Lucas stop leak. since then I've been told it has been feeling a bit better.

Today I looked it over again, fluid looked good, still no air bubbles showing, i again cleaned and lubed the U-joint.

Any help as always will be greatly appreciated !!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-18, 11:54 AM
Take it back to the shop that replaced the pump and complain.

Old 06-18-18, 02:11 PM
had the power steering pump changed thinking it was dead. the steering felt better for a few weeks after the change but now is back to the same problem.

Thinking is not the best way to proceed. WAS IT bad? SPs are very basic, simple devices that run and run. Rack and pinion, on the other hand..... I think, nothing was really bad with the pump, but with R&P. New pump simply gave it a bit of more pressure, that could have, actually, finally killed it.
Again, it just "thinking".

Old 06-19-18, 05:28 AM
As ukrbyk said, it's time to find the fault and fix it - not "shoot in the dark"

Old 06-20-18, 04:45 PM
You could spray some power lube or wd40 on the joint of the intermediate steering shaft and steer the wheel lock to lock and repeat a couple of times, if you get your steering back then most likely found the problem. I thought I had a bad pump one time and replaced it and it wasnít the problem, it was the shaft joint. Itís pretty normal for the fluid level to go slightly up and down running or not, that just tells you that the rack is able to push the fluid but doesnít mean the rack is actually functioning properly.

Old 06-25-18, 02:28 PM
beelzebob, that was my first thing said to them,.. but they told me they were tight for cash and had a friend do the change.

Old 06-25-18, 02:35 PM
to ukrbyk: I cant see any signs of the pump being bad, no leaks, pulley appears to run true, no squeaks etc... i have no clue though hot to check the R&P to see if thats bad. is there a somewhat simple way to check the R&P?

to brian44220: after trying to bleed the system, that is the next thing I went after. it didnt look very bad, but I did attempt to clean the ujoint as good as I could, then soaked it with WD. I also followed up a few days later with another spray down of it.

to beelzebob: they were tight for cash and had a friend do the change for them.

and thank you all !!!!

Old 06-25-18, 08:18 PM