Overheating - 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8

Old 07-07-18, 03:27 PM
Overheating - 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8

Car is overheating. Heat gauge fluctuates, but doesn't boil over. When it goes up too much, I wait till it goes back down before continuing driving.

Very little heat in car but still seems to work intermittently.

Someone bled the system for me, and put in a new thermostat but it's still having issues.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could check next?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-18, 03:57 PM
usually when you lose heat in the car its due to the cooling system being low could be a leak or just lost coolant from overheating to the overflow.
would probably get a pressure test done see if there is any leaks that show up and make sure the cooling fan is working as a starting point.
most inexpensive obd2 readers can give you data like coolant temp might be helpful also.

Old 07-07-18, 05:42 PM
If the heater isn't producing hot air (assuming blower is working) when gauge shows hot, the water pump is failing. You need to replace it.

Old 07-08-18, 07:29 AM
First thing to check on:

How is coolant level? There is nothing but guesswork without knowing that.

Also, I am not sure what exactly does it mean "very little heat in car" as it's summer and why would run heater, even in Alaska? Lukewarm coolant points towards low coolant level, open stuck thermostat. But it all circles back to main question - how is coolant level?
Something as simple as collapsing coolant hose may cause this. Hoses are double walled and sometimes get bubble inside, that acts as expandable bladder, blocking/opening fluid flow.

Old 07-10-18, 02:11 AM
Coolant level was fine. Radiator fan works. Re the heater, it blows slightly warm air, but not nearly as hot as it should be.

Hoping it's something not terribly expensive to fix. Beezlebob mentioned it could need a new water pump. I'm wondering if it could be a blown head gasket. Sure hope not!

I think I'll have to take it in to a mechanic later this week.

Old 07-12-18, 03:05 PM
Fingers crossed it's not the head gasket! eek!

The car is being looked at either tomorrow or else Monday of next week. I'll be sure to post back here and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-23-18, 11:43 AM
I took it to the mechanic and he said it's the head gasket.

Old 07-23-18, 11:49 AM
So I bought another car, and the check engine light keeps coming on. I'll start a new post.....