Oil Change Funnel

Old 07-08-18, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oil Change Funnel

I'm sure most have seen this, I was 50 before my BIL showed me so...

Just cut the bottom off a quart of oil then you can just slide a full quart in and let it drain as long as you want - ain't goin' anywhere.

Name:  FUNNEL.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  44.2 KB

I must say I don't miss the days and shoving that huge spout in the top of a metal can, what a mess that was.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't remember the metal spout in a can of oil being messy ..... but then there are a lot of things I don't remember

I have a regular wide mouth funnel I use but I usually buy oil in the 5 qt jugs.

Old 07-08-18, 12:27 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
I don't remember the metal spout in a can of oil being messy
It was that one in hundred where the spout did not cleanly cut the can and it leaked.

But as a side note since I just did 3 oil changes this week.

I can not believe the cost, quarts used to run $0.99 now a 5 qt container is $30+.

Old 07-08-18, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
The price of oil is directly tied in with the price of gas. When you see gas prices rise.... oil follows right behind it.

Old 07-08-18, 01:19 PM
Those old spouts poured pretty good but by the time you pulled it out of the fifth can it was an oily mess to me.

Old 07-08-18, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can't you do the same thing W/O cutting the bottom of a bottle out? I mean, when I get a qt down, I just open one, upend it into the filler and come back 5 min later.

I guess if I was doing a complete change, I would cut the time back between bottle swaps...but what does 3-4 more minutes get you? Maybe that last teaspoon? With multi-vis oil, not like it's honey when you pour.

Hmmm...interesting experiment for next time. How much more oil can you get from a bottle by leaving it in for 5 min vs when it quits "glugging".

Sort of on the subject...I saw a gas funnel on one of the re-build shows that I'd really like to find. It would insert in the tank of most cars, and had a large flat "plate" around the back, top and bottom, that would hold it in place so you could use both hands to hoist the 5 gal can. Right now I have to use a hose and my 80gal trash can to siphon fill the cars with the extra gas I buy when I have a bunch of points. No way can I lift and push, squeeze, twist, whatever to open the air valve at the same time. Even on the nozzles I've modified/defeated that on, they still pour excruciatingly slow.

Old 07-08-18, 05:01 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
The price of oil is directly tied in with the price of gas.
True, but all OEM's now require synthetic oils which really drove up the cost of an oil change!

Old 07-08-18, 08:39 PM
Can't you do the same thing W/O cutting the bottom of a bottle out? I mean, when I get a qt down, I just open one, upend it into the filler and come back 5 min later.

Vic, are you telling me you've never missed the hole a little and had it run down over the exhaust manifold then stink like hell?

I just posted that because it's so simple. One day I was changing the oil and my friend in his 70s stopped by and was very impressed. KISS

Old 07-09-18, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oh, I probably have....but no, it didn't run down...one thing I know about myself is always have rag or a bunch of paper towels....lol. That's in just about any situation. Sometimes they are used to mop up a mess, sometimes to staunch the flow of blood.

I also learned...don't pour them the way that seems natural. Put the part furthest from the neck closest to the filler, then bring the neck up to it. Or go in sideways with the neck tilted up at an angle. If ya go at it neck first, it's sure to "glug" at the worst possible time. 'Course, that won't work with a round bottle very well.

And I think guys in there 70's are probably impressed when they see the sun come up...lol. J/K all you "old" guys out there.

Old 07-09-18, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
I have a regular wide mouth funnel I use but I usually buy oil in the 5 qt jugs.
Same here! Last time I got oil at Walmart I think it was 18.50.

Old 07-09-18, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I missed the description of the problem that this thread is attempting to solve . . . . something to do with visual acuity ?