Not a repair - an older Toyota recommendation

Old 07-15-18, 12:44 PM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Not a repair - an older Toyota recommendation

I have a company van and my own pickup truck. I was considering also getting an older, high mileage preferably manual transmission (I know many may think that's odd) 4 cylinder car. I found a 2002 Toyota Camry with a manual transmission, quite a rarity. But - it's got 207k miles. Price is $2995. Most will probably say that's too high, it is sort of in the ballpark according to KBB. I know Toyotas are good, I just saw another most here about a '97 Camry (I hope the op gets the issue resolved soon) - but I wonder if it would be crazy to consider such vehicle, in your opinion. I'd probably only put a few thousand miles a year on it.

Also considering around 2005 or so Toyota Corollas. Sat in my daughter in law's 2006, seemed to be fine. I've heard reports of the steering wheel being too far away. I didn't find that to be the case. i like that both engines (I think 2002 & above) use timing chains.

Old 07-15-18, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
My opinion only........ a 1997 car with +200k miles for $3000 is a risky purchase.

Old 07-15-18, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
My '04 Tacoma is north of 200K and had 197k on it when I bought it last year. It filled all the checkboxes when I was looking.

Having said that, I don't think I would pay $2995 for a '97 Camry. I could see maybe going $2k if it's in otherwise good condition.

Old 07-15-18, 02:07 PM
S
The one I found was a 2002, but - agreed it would be a risky purchase. I'd like to have a Subaru again, but the years I'd be looking at are very prone to head gasket failures.

Old 07-15-18, 02:12 PM
S
I was considering a 2005 Tacoma a few months ago with 192k for $7995. If I got that it would be my only vehicle. Then I saw it a week later for $8995 - asked that dealer what's up with that? Customers got into a bidding war over it! Sold a few days later. Those Tacomas must be good. Does yours have the 2.4L 4 cylinder or the V6? The other thing I like about Tacomas is, although somewhat rare you can find a 4x4 with a 5 speed manual.

I was thinking maybe $2500 - $2700 for the 2002 Camry I saw, but based on my last experience the dealer would probably hold firm. With my luck someone would offer $3200.

Last edited by stevek66; 07-15-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 08:46 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Buy from private party.
No, 200K for olden Camry or Rolla is not that much, if they were maintained religiously.
Golden years for those cars, just like Civics, ended early 2000s...... Around 1999 to be more specific.

Old 07-16-18, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Steve, mine's the V-6. I really would have preferred a 4-banger for the fuel economy, but that aside I like the V6. It was in the neighborhood of the prices you mention. It's a 4-door 2wd TRD Prerunner.

Old 07-16-18, 06:25 PM
S
Either way you've got a great truck tow_guy.

Buying from a private party isn't out of the question. I think the worse part about that in this state is going to the DMV.

Old 07-17-18, 01:40 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
About two years ago I bought a 2009 Camry with a little over 102k on the clock. Price was ten grand. I had a '97 Camry with about 140k that the insurance company totaled after a guy in a service truck creamed the right rear corner. The body shop gave an estimate of more than 3 grand in repair costs and that it could go another grand or two if they found additional damage when they dug into it. I got more than $4,000 for it from the insurance company so I KNOW it was probably worth 5-6 grand in the retail market.

The car was still drive-able although it had a noise from the left front whenever I used the brake. I had to get a new title (state requires titles to be surrendered on totaled vehicles) plus current license and I replaced the front brake pads and rotors for a total cost of about $130. I then sold the car for that price to a woman down on her luck and she was able to turn her life around so a win-win ending.

Still, if that car hadn't been totaled I most likely would still be driving it. It was a "Made in Japan" model and totally cherry, not even a scratch on it when the clown backed into it. A much better car all around than the 2009 I have now.

Old 07-17-18, 04:53 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
If you're considering a used vehicle, do a little research into the engine type, and whether the timing belt will need replacement. It can be a pricey "gotcha" that some people don't think about, and if the last owner didn't keep up with the maintenance it can lead to an ugly and catastrophic engine failure.

Sorry if you knew that already, didn't intend to preach.

Last edited by CycleZen; 07-17-18 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 05:01 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
>> "for a total cost of about $130. I then sold the car for that price to a woman down on her luck and she was able to turn her life around"

Old 07-19-18, 06:56 PM
S
The 1997 generation Camry is still good looking IMO, With only 140k or so the new owner probably will have a good car for some time, Glad to hear of the outcome.

I'm not looking for a 2009 era model, but why did you prefer the '97 over it?

Old 07-19-18, 07:00 PM
S
I did research about belt or chain driven engines - it is important to mention for those who may not be aware. The 2002 models were the first to have the timing chain. I believe 2003 for the Honda 2.4L.

Interesting that while several 4 cylinder engines started using chains instead of belts, the V6s typically continued to use belts.

Old 07-20-18, 05:21 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Well, there were a few other issues for that car, for which I made her sign a disclosure sheet. I had had no trouble at all with the transmission but emphasized that she might drive two blocks and have it fail. The right front axle had had a torn CV joint boot for some time and the half-axle needed replacement. The timing belt and water pump had been replaced less than 10,000 miles (maybe 18 months) prior but the radiator hoses were original and should be replaced. Anyway, I heard from my sister about a year later that Suzanne had had something happen to the car but I don't know what.

That '79 was Made in Japan and had a nicer finish (better workmanship) than does my Made in USA '09. Also, my '09 is a base model and the '97 was a LE model. The '97 had a nicer seat and somewhat better steering wheel adjustment, at least to me, than does the '09. I definitely preferred the hand lever parking brake of the old car over the foot pedal in the newer car. A few other minor annoyances as well. Going back even further my '87 Camry was better than the '97 in many ways, at least in my opinion.

Oh, CycleZen, it really wasn't an act of grace and compassion so much as an act of expediency. I doubt that I could have even given it to a charitable organization without a legal title and I sure as heck wasn't going to let anyone drive it with the defective brakes, (the left front rotor was damaged). Replacing both front rotors and brake pads cost about $50 as I recall plus a few hours of my time. I was reimbursed all my out-of-pocket expenses AND I got rid of a car I didn't need along with the insurance premium so like I previously stated, it was a win-win situation. My gain was lower insurance premiums and getting rid of a surplus car and Suzanne's win was getting a fairly decent car at a low price so she didn't have to depend on the rather limited public transportation.

Old 09-29-18, 06:24 PM
S
I ended up buying a 1999 Honda Accord EX, 5 speed manual a few weeks ago. I didn't realize how much I missed driving a manual. This car - almost 20 years old, is just plain fun to drive. These old (at least this one) Hondas seem to hold up really well. Of course there will be maintenance, there is a bit of surface rust - and something this age will likely have issues due to age, as well as miles. Some reviews give Hondas not such a great rating when it comes to quietness, I guess I don't know what quiet is - to me it's quiet. Then again, I've had Subarus for years - but I liked the (very apparent) flat 4 sound.

Maybe I got a unique example, but I'm surprised at how smooth and refined this car is for it's age. Maybe they're typically like that, and why you still see a good amount of gen 6 (1998-2002) Honda Accords still on the road. A concern is the timing belt - the Carfax shows no record of it being done - but it had to have been replaced since it has 169K + miles. It's probably due or overdue again. I may just have pay the dealership or other shop to inspect it.

Old 10-02-18, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Steve
I was just reading your post, and saw your comment about the Tacoma. I had a 2003 Tacoma 4x4, TRD package. I recently traded it in when I bought a Honda CR-V (which I have begun to hate!), but I sure wish I had kept it. Before I was going to sell, I found this online group of Tacoma enthusiasts. I learned that the Tacoma 2002-2005 are very sought after because the were hi quality builds. Which is why the price you saw was high and went even higher!
Just wanted to share what wee bits of information I have!
Thanks and have a great week!

Old 10-03-18, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
I have clutch envy, Steve.

Only sticks I get to drive anymore are the once in a blue moon ones that I tow and are driveable for short distances. Not sure my left knee could take the constant clutch work anymore.

Old 10-06-18, 09:49 AM
S
Hi Clueless (doesn't feel right saying that!)

Interesting about your Tacoma. They've got to be good trucks, especially the gen you mentioned. I wonder why you're not liking the Honda CR-V? I was also considering one of those. I test drove a '98 with a manual transmission. Really enjoyed driving it but - the way the 5MT is geared highway rpms are well over 3k rpm. I got it up to about 62 mph and it was around 3200. Not a show stopper I guess, owners say they've taken them on long trips and you get used to it. I also considered some 2nd gen CR-Vs, but really didn't need an SUV since I have a truck.

Old 10-06-18, 09:55 AM
S
Hello tow_guy,

Yea I was 'shiftless' for about a year. I gotta say Honda knows how to make a manual transmission. So far I'm lucky with the physical involvement in driving a manual, especially considering my age. I'm no spring chicken, I'm over 60!

Just saw the relationship in your post to your name! I have a customer that has a 1996 Ford F350 diesel tow truck in their fleet in pristine condition. I think the engine that year is a 7.3L. They're a body shop, so the paint looks new and perfect. I'd love to have a pickup truck version of that.

Last edited by stevek66; 10-06-18 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added to post
Old 10-08-18, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Steve
Don't feel funny about the Clueless (I even just got a reminder to spell my name right!) The problem I have had with my C-RV is in technical matters. One of the things they enjoy bragging about is their Hond CarPlay, and all the wonderful things you can do with their HandsFreeLink. Unfortunately, what they don't say up front is that a) you're iPhone may not work with the CarPlay or the more important (IMO) Honda Links. I have been trying to get mine to work since I bought the car in January. And I specifically asked several times if the car was compatible with my iPhone 6S Plus. Absolutely! they said. Piece of cake to set up! I was told. (Now I have to inject here, that I have not been back to the dealership for several months because I have been so angry with the entire car buying experience with them....so I will accept any blame due me for the problem not being fixed yet) I especially got tired of everyone I talked to asking if my lightening cord was the original one that came with my phone! Are you kidding? Who has the same cord five years later? And I was also told there IS a problem with the CarPlay and the entire system, but Apple was pointing fingers at Honda and Honda was right back at Apple. Meanwhile, I am driving a $37,000!!! car that has not met the promises I was told it would. Aside from that nightmare, it is a 4 cylinder. And even with their new super whammydine transmission and turbo, I always feel as though the car is sluggish. And I can't tell you how many times I think I am zooming down the freeway, doing fine, only to notice cars going around me. Then I look down, and the car has slowed by at least 10 mph!
Still back to that Tacoma, the website I spoke about is********(I think). A bunch of nice people who can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about a Tacoma. Happy clutching! Bleh! LOL

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-22-18 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 10-12-18, 07:44 PM
S
Sorry to hear about your Honda compatibility troubles Clueless! Speaking of audio - when i replace the stock 1999 Accord stereo the new unit may not have a CD player, I'd like to get something with AM/FM (haven't listened to FM in years) but most importantly a memory device player, such as USB or SD card. I see now except for the LX, the CR-Vs all come with the 1.5L turbo. Efficient I suppose, but I wonder about long term reliability. And the whammydine transmission LOL! I considered the Tacoma if I was to have one vehicle, no w I have the Honda and a 2002 Silverado. I will say though, I like the latest CR-V styling - a big improvement over the previous gen. I hope somehow they can get the stereo - or a replacement stereo to work with your iPhone.

Old 10-13-18, 10:15 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have a toyota camry 2003 LE V6 3.0L engine. Bought it new for 0% APR and dealer gave me free oil and filter change. Then dealer was sold to new dealer and they are not honoring the free. Apart from that Camry has 225K. Regular maintenance and still runs good. I had to change front axle recently and over the time replaced the timing belts twice as its recommended every 110K. Other then that just brakes/pads, balancing and alignments were changed. Also previous dealer was great and every oil change gave the list of manufacturer recommended replacement things like spark plugs, air filters, PCV valve, which i did. New dealer is way too expensive so i started doing everything myself and is still good. Thanks to this forums where i got my questions answered so many times along with reading through blogs and Q&As of other people am able to maintain without spending too much.

Old 10-16-18, 07:18 PM
S
I see many of that generation Toyota Camrys still on the road. Getting a car to 200K+ miles with just the maintenance/repairs you mentioned is impressive. I hope my 1999 Honda will be the similar. Nice when you're able to do repairs yourself. I always changed the oil on my Subarus - due to the height of the vehicles and placement of the oil filter I could do and oil change and filter replacement without jacking them up, Don't think that will be possible with the Honda.

Old 10-17-18, 02:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
200k isn't that big of a deal these days. When my wife traded in her 2003 Merc it had 198k. While it was needing struts the only repairs it had was replacing the starter .... multiple times other than regular maintenance.

Old 10-18-18, 07:04 PM
S
True - back when I hit 100k in 1975 on my first car that was a big deal. a 1967 Chevy Caprice. The 2 speed Powerglide transmission went bad, got a used replacement installed for $100 at Aamco.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: