98 Crown Vic AC Problems

Old 07-25-18, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
98 Crown Vic AC Problems

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
37k Miles
Stored 4+ years in garage

I set temperature at 65 in either auto, norm ac or max ac and the proper vents open, fan comes on high, only warm air, compressor never turns.

Fuses look okay, fan and vents work correctly.

Switched around fuel pump with AC relay - no joy.

Looking under the hood I see some foam stuff wrapped around the accumulator/drier and it is damp....

Name:  accumulator drier.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  86.0 KB

Is R-134a green?

If it has all leaked out will that prevent the compressor from turning?

When I had a 91 Grand Marquis with low freon the pump would run for a few seconds, over and over. This one doesn't turn at all. No pressure causes this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-18, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
Low refrigerant will keep the compressor from running.
The refrigerant is a colorless gas when it leaks out of the system.

Your 91 G.M. was cycling as there was just enough in the system to keep the switch closed. As soon as the compressor started the low pressure went down and the switch opened. As the low pressure came back up..... the compressor restarted.

You can use a meter or test light to check if the low pressure switch is closed.
The switch is circled in yellow. It should have two wires on it. Both should be 12v when the compressor should be running.

Name:  ford.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  37.7 KB

Old 07-25-18, 12:20 PM
Low refrigerant will keep the compressor from running.

Okay, that's a relief, probably not the compressor. I'll do that test when I go out to be sure.

I just found that on certain years Ford did put green stuff in and had that foam thing which rots out the drier... pretty common I guess. Another good idea.

Thanks Pete

Old 07-25-18, 02:07 PM
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
the uv dye can be a bright green color not aware of it being installed at the factory but plenty of dealers and shops do use it to help find leaks it will glow under uv light.
the low pressure switch is on the low side believe you caught a portion of it in your first picture of the drier I would probably just hook gauges up to it.

Old 07-26-18, 05:50 AM
Unplugged the connection and it has 4 wires so I didn't mess with it. I'm pretty sure it is a hole in the drier, I was worried about the compressor which Pete explained so I'm good.

Somebody said this foam thing was installed something like 94-03 and it will rot the drier. I very seldom use the AC but I'll have someone fix this down the road. It was a bright green and reading where it is high pressure I don't want to touch it.

Thanks guys