Question about gluing rearview mirror

Old 08-02-18, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about gluing rearview mirror

My car was stolen a few weeks ago, and it was recovered yesterday. I never thought that it would be returned. It was in surprisingly good condition, but for whatever reason, the person ripped off my rearview mirror. It seems like some of the glass came off with it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair this, so I can glue the mirror. I don't know if I can fill it with something and then glue the metal piece to the filled area. I guess I could glue it to the right of the damaged area, but then it will show. Worst case scenario, I can always get a new windshield! I appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
WOW! I have never seen that happen before. First, it might be worth a call to a glass repair company to see what they recommend. If repaired properly it might save the windshield from cracking/breaking in the future. Without a repair to the glass I think there is a good chance you'll see spider cracks heading out from that spot ruining the whole windscreen. Then after the glass is repaired I'd worry about reattaching the mirror.

Old 08-02-18, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Assuming you had full coverage - I'd let the insurance company take care of it! If not, I agree with getting the glass repaired first if possible. Chips on the outside will turn to cracks, sometimes shortly other times it might take a year or so but when repaired they normally do fine. Be sure to use rear view mirror adhesive when it comes time to replace the mirror.

Old 08-02-18, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
You may not see stress cracks now but you would as soon as it was cold outside and used the defroster.

Old 08-03-18, 05:06 AM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
Without question replace the windshield.

Old 08-03-18, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I'd take it to an auto glass shop first and inquire whether or not it can be repaired. I've had chips professionally repaired with the repair lasting 5+ yrs. I've also diy repaired chips with mixed results. I suspect the main difference was knowing if the chip was repairable. I've never seen damage like that on the inside of a windshield before.