Toyota Highlander - dash shows tailgate open, but it's closed!

Old 08-02-18, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toyota Highlander - dash shows tailgate open, but it's closed!

I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE, 6 cylinder, and suddenly yesterday, the dashboard warning light came on stating that the rear lift was open. Stopped, got out, & made sure it and the window was closed. When I started driving again, it still shows 'open'. any ideas out there? Seems to be going up and down without any problem, and nothing is keeping if from closing all the way. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-18, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
There will be some kind of sensor or switch back there that is either out of adjustment or inop. Hopefully one of the pro mechanics can expand on that.

Old 08-03-18, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yours should have a feature, whatever the big name is, that pulls tailgate tight after it's shut. It's that last whirring whoomp. If it does not do it, you have obstruction. Cargo net, floor mat, even piece of paper somewhere wrong. Those are very sensitive, as they have sensor not allowing motor to overload. We had similar happening on both Highlander and RX350 and each time it was some minor object somewhere. Wife keeps doing cargo net on her RX.

Old 08-06-18, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, I got it figured out, actually it was my hood that was open - I must have accidentally pulled the hood latch and it was ajar. (how embarrassing!)
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-06-18, 06:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Not familiar with the setup, so there are two different lights, one for tail and one for hood?